Keeping Goats in a Loft

There are breeds of dogs specifically suited for bear issues. Karelian Bear Dogs and Russo-European Laikas are excellent

Those are bear hunting breeds.

Probably not a great choice as a livestock guardian:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

This is not a breed for the casual pet owner, the Karelian Bear Dog is a hunter of unyielding bravery and determination

The Karelian Bear Dog is not recommended for apartment life. They should have acreage or a farm so they can run.

These animals do not like to be confined

Never let two Karelian Bear Dogs run together free - for they will go hunting.

Make sure your yard is well-fenced so your Karelian Bear Dog does not take off on a hunting adventure.

I think a good electric fence is the best solution to this bear problem​

Quote:
Bears HATE electric fence. It's about the only thing that will keep them out. I'm sure you need a high-powered fence charger, so go for broke when you get one and ground it really well to ensure a good shock!!

Quote:
Those are bear hunting breeds.

Probably not a great choice as a livestock guardian:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

This is not a breed for the casual pet owner, the Karelian Bear Dog is a hunter of unyielding bravery and determination

The Karelian Bear Dog is not recommended for apartment life. They should have acreage or a farm so they can run.

These animals do not like to be confined

Never let two Karelian Bear Dogs run together free - for they will go hunting.

Make sure your yard is well-fenced so your Karelian Bear Dog does not take off on a hunting adventure.

I think a good electric fence is the best solution to this bear problem​

The OP didn't say a thing about an LGD to begin with so your post is out of place. The OP was asking for alternative solutions to confining his goats in a loft or asking if its a good idea. By the way...I have a lot of experience with these dogs, so going to some online site that lists lots and ots of information about every breed of dog isn't going to be the best place to find out real information on these dogs. An electric fence may well be the best solution, but I was giving alternative solutions as well. Relax.

ETA I personally know many people that keep both the KBD and REL for keeping both moose and bear off their property and way from livestock. No, they aren't LGD's but they are suited specifically for bear chasing. And they sure as heck can stay on your property. As far as a dog dealing with a bear they are the very best at it.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Most bears won't get within 5 feet of an electric fence so if you put a strand every 1 foot then one at the top you should deteir most jumping/climbing predators.

I don' t know...it just seems like overkill to buy a rare breed of LGD (and consequently a very expensive dog) to protect two little goats when an electric wire will do it so easily. That's why I didn't bother suggesting the bear-killer dogs.

Most LGD breeds can handle a bear no problem. bears arent in it to fight, they run. A black bear (not counting brown bears here) wont even try it when the dog starts barking. Many many people keep anatolians for bear protection. You can get a nice pup for about $400. I descided to get electric, but the dog really is a good choice if you have the need.

The OP didn't say a thing about an LGD to begin with so your post is out of place. The OP was asking for alternative solutions to confining his goats in a loft or asking if its a good idea.
By the way...I have a lot of experience with these dogs, so going to some online site that lists lots and ots of information about every breed of dog isn't going to be the best place to find out real information on these dogs. An electric fence may well be the best solution, but I was giving alternative solutions as well. Relax.

But someone else did, so obviously my reply was to them and not the OP

No amount of "experience" with a dog breed will change what they were bred to do.
I don't see your information being any more "real" than any other information.

I simply added information you left out.
If it's in error, feel free to show your source that disputes it, since we are all here to learn

No, they aren't LGD's but they are suited specifically for bear chasing

Isn't that exactly what I said?
A dog that is off chasing a bear is NOT guarding the goats

If all the OP wanted to know was how to confine a goat, then why is my post (about dogs) "out of place" but your post (about dogs) isn't?​

Last edited:
Most LGD breeds can handle a bear no problem. bears arent in it to fight, they run

You're correct.

Once a predator loses the element of surprise, most of them just go away​

I'm editing my response here, specifically to Bear Foot Farm because this isn't worth an argument. If the OP wants to know about the viable option I have talked about here he/she can feel free to PM myself or start another thread about bear issues around homesteads and farms. I'm sorry I allowed myself to be baited into a childish argument.

On topic, OP I am interested to see what you decide to do about your bear issue. The electric fence does sound like a good option, as other things suggested here could be as well. I hope you find how to keep your goats safe
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom