Keeping gosling friendly?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Just wondering if there are any tricks and dos and don't for goslings to keep them friendly? this little guy is Poser, and has become increasingly resistant to handling...

24037_img_7220sm.jpg

Imprinting at hatch helps, but that's kind of a one-time thing. :x My Alex still craves my company and cuddles..

None of my goslings have ever enjoyed being picked up. They settle down once the picking up part is over. Picking them up mimics a predator coming down at them, so it's instinctual. My adult geese have gotten more tolerant, but they obviously don't "enjoy" it, they are just used to it.

Geese have all different personalities, too. If you pair up getting a special snack with being picked up that might help a little. Like some greens in your hand you give immediately when the goslings settles down on your lap.

ok that makes sense- he is 3 weeks old, he was the only one at the feed store, so he lives with my ducklings- today he discovered the joy of being a submarine- it was hilarious and he cleared the little pool fast! so i am going to be holding him in my lap and let him relax...
smile.png
rather than restricting him..
smile.png
any ideas as to breed and gender?

Mine don't like to be "caught" either but are fine once I get them and pick them up. You would think you're killing them when they get at that stage when they start screaming when you catch them. It must be a normal thing with geese.

Quote:
I never grab my baby from behind.
smile.png
I always scoop him gently from the front and cradle him in my hands, so there's no surprise.
But then again, I am "mama".. that does help a lot. :x

Good luck keeping your geese sociable, OP. <3

I don't grab mine from behind either. That was just a stage they went through when I would put them out during the day but have to bring them back into the garage into the brooker at night. It was almost like they knew it was time because they would leisurely be walking around, eating grass, playing all around me while I sat in the swing. I would scoop one up without a problem but once the rest saw it was time to go back in they would start going to the corners of the grazing pen. They knew exactly when I was going to pick them up but would still hoop and hollar until I had them picked up. They are 11 weeks old now and do not scream anymore when I pick them up but to say they like it is another thing and I have been the only "mommy" they have know since day one and are spoiled rotten
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom