Keeping Guineas Home

Guinealand

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
I am new to guinea fowl. I have started with a group of 21 that I raised from keets. I started free-ranging them on ten acres about a month ago. They have been staying on our property and go into a coop every night. The past few days they have gone up to the neighbor's house. I don't want them to annoy the neighbors or get hit on the road that is past the neighbor's house. Are there any suggestions on keeping them from roaming too far?

I am new to the guinea fowl world and I am afraid not doing so well at it. My son is in law enforcement and bless his heart, rescued 7 keets from a drug bust house and dropped them with me . I failed at getting them to roost in a coop at night and unfortunately, after having them 6 months, I now only have 2 left. Those 2 don't go out of our yard much now and as much as they like to hang out on our back deck staring in the slider door, I have been unsuccessful at convincing them to get in coop at night and I have tried everything. Even their fav treat watermelon(which is hard to find right now lol) wont lure them in, they were in the coop while they were babies but as soon as they started roaming I could never get them back in. Now the temperatures are dropping and the rain has set in and I have no idea what to do to keep the dry & warm at night. I have grown to like the darn squakers, so any suggestions would be so appreciated.

How long did you contain them when they came to live with you?

I keep mine locked up for 4-6 weeks prior to letting them free range. Then I let a few out and keep the others locked up because then the free ones will want to go back to their flock.

Also.. they won’t be happy as just two, they’re better in bigger flocks (minimum of 10) —

Take a look at the pinned thread for lots of good information!

I am new to guinea fowl. I have started with a group of 21 that I raised from keets. I started free-ranging them on ten acres about a month ago. They have been staying on our property and go into a coop every night. The past few days they have gone up to the neighbor's house. I don't want them to annoy the neighbors or get hit on the road that is past the neighbor's house. Are there any suggestions on keeping them from roaming too far?
@PeepsCA posted that she would discourage her guineas from going places she did not want them to be by getting between them and the direction they were heading and running at them while waving a big towel at them. It did not take many repetitions to get them to stop going where she did not want them to be. With my own guineas, making them uncomfortable where I don't want them to be soon gets them to stop attempting to go there.

You have to be very consistent in training them. It won't work if you chase them one day and not the next.

Good luck.

@PeepsCA posted that she would discourage her guineas from going places she did not want them to be by getting between them and the direction they were heading and running at them while waving a big towel at them. It did not take many repetitions to get them to stop going where she did not want them to be. With my own guineas, making them uncomfortable where I don't want them to be soon gets them to stop attempting to go there.

You have to be very consistent in training them. It won't work if you chase them one day and not the next.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will have to try that.

I keep two confined and let the others out. They always stay close by and remain in my yard not the neighbors. My neighbors were sad as they miss them quite a bit however....
Too many obstacles for them at the other house and I was losing hens left and right. Killed on broken fences, couldn't find their way out and put them places we were unable to help them. This gives me a piece of mind that they are safe.

Also I read before (hasn't worked for me and keeping them off the deck long term) but opening and closing and umbrella will scare the hell out of them. That method would probably really work for property lines.

I am new to the guinea fowl world and I am afraid not doing so well at it. My son is in law enforcement and bless his heart, rescued 7 keets from a drug bust house and dropped them with me . I failed at getting them to roost in a coop at night and unfortunately, after having them 6 months, I now only have 2 left. Those 2 don't go out of our yard much now and as much as they like to hang out on our back deck staring in the slider door, I have been unsuccessful at convincing them to get in coop at night and I have tried everything. Even their fav treat watermelon(which is hard to find right now lol) wont lure them in, they were in the coop while they were babies but as soon as they started roaming I could never get them back in. Now the temperatures are dropping and the rain has set in and I have no idea what to do to keep the dry & warm at night. I have grown to like the darn squakers, so any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom