Keeping Hoses Unfrozen In Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thomasboyle, Nov 3, 2013.

1. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    With winter coming in (going down to 24 tonight), I am looking for an easy way to fill my 4 waterers each morning. I currently use a standard garden hose, and let it drain downhill and blow it out after each use. But this only works for so long, and eventually the hose freezes on me, especially as the snow builds up and buries the hose. I am looking for something 50' long that fits into a 5 gallon bucket that I can bring in and out with me, storing it inside the house. I have seen flexible fabric covered hoses that untangle when the water turns on, and coil back up into a ball when the water turns off. But their strength seems questionable. I have also seen rubber coil hoses, but am not sure they would fit into a 5 gallon bucket. Any suggestions?

2. leahmeit

leahmeit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Northwest NJ
    I invested in a non freezing hose bib.

I'm going to fill buckets on an as needed basis.

Hoping this will work!

3. bentwrench54

bentwrench54 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    cortland, ohio
    Those flexible hoses do not work that well. Unless you can keep it in the bucket and away from animals. They have very little tear or puncture resistance.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Can you describe what the hose bib is? Thanks!

5. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop

7. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I drain my hose every night. Then there is no water in it to freeze. Or I roll the whole thing up (about 150') and haul it into the garage on a portable hose reel.

8. Zeevon101

Zeevon101 New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    If you want to be really serious about a pipe not getting frozen, try getting called a pipe tracer. It works down to probably -30 degrees. If out in the open, maybe -15. They're not that expensive. [​IMG]
    What it does is it wraps around the pipe and keeps the water warm. hope it works for everyone who reads this!

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Its a just a spigot you can screw a hose onto

I'd try to find a small hose reel and find/build a cover to set over it when not in use, with a small light bulb inside to prevent freezing

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I fill 2 gallon sized apple juice bottles and carry them out every morning and afternoon when it freezes here - I pour them into black rubber fortex tubs- you step on them when they are upside down and the ice falls out. Works for me since we don't freeze very often here.

My hose bib freezes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by