Keeping ill/not cold tolerant chickens warm in rainy/cold climate

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hi all,

I have lymphoid leukosis in my flock and it's my understanding they're all technically immunocompromised at the moment. It's clear they've been fighting the first wave of it over the past several months and we lost one. Our breeds range from a few more hardy types to Silkies and a Cochin going through a late molt.

Because of this, I'm worried about how they're doing as temps dip down into the 20s (wet cold too) but with the wetness I'm also not comfortable powering heat out there. I know draft free/ventilated/dry are all key which we have, but anything else I can be doing to make sure they're warm?

Keep them out of the wet for sure. The cold might be a tad harder on them since they are sick but typically isn't a concern.

Extra electrolytes too will help.

If you need to make a temp coop in the garage or something I would do it, if you can, and it will help lessen the stress on everyone
Thanks! The garage is about as cold as outside anyway, probably not too different in there. I'd be more worried about bringing them inside and having to re-acclimate them outdoors. Nobody's faring poorly currently, they're all pretty active but in the afternoons start to activate puffball mode

Hi all,

I have lymphoid leukosis in my flock and it's my understanding they're all technically immunocompromised at the moment. It's clear they've been fighting the first wave of it over the past several months and we lost one. Our breeds range from a few more hardy types to Silkies and a Cochin going through a late molt.

Because of this, I'm worried about how they're doing as temps dip down into the 20s (wet cold too) but with the wetness I'm also not comfortable powering heat out there. I know draft free/ventilated/dry are all key which we have, but anything else I can be doing to make sure they're warm?
If they are not laying cracked corn is a good way to provide then with easy burn carbohydrates which does help to keep them warm. A handful of corn at roost time between say 5 hens might help.
After one has done what one can with the coop (outside temporary insulation may help but the nature of the coop may make it impracticle) then it's all about them having calories to turn into heat.
@Alaskan has written an article on keeping chickens in cold climates which may provide you with some ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

You might read the cold weather section in this article by @aart -includes info on soaking rolled oats in electrolytes and how to reset hens that might have gotten too cold: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/
That's for really cold temps, near zero F for days on end.

I know draft free/ventilated/dry are all key which we have, but anything else I can be doing to make sure they're warm?
This is really all they need, along with a good chicken ration, fresh plain water, and not a lot of treats.

I'm worried about how they're doing as temps dip down into the 20s (wet cold too) but with the wetness I'm also not comfortable powering heat out there.
How is it wet in the coop, do you mean humid?
It would really help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1640135642238.png

Hi all,

If temps are only in the 20s, I do not think there will be any issues.

With them being sub-par i would make sure that they are on a 20% protein feed, and if it is super dark where you are, give them 10 hours of daylight so they have the time to eat plenty.

That's for really cold temps, near zero F for days on end.

This is really all they need, along with a good chicken ration, fresh plain water, and not a lot of treats.

How is it wet in the coop, do you mean humid?
It would really help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2936007
Updated! By wet I do mean humid. South of Seattle. Humidity is around 90% currently

Back
Top Bottom