Keeping It Clean

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Jan 3, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Curious as to what you all do and what happens in regards to run floors.
    Mine is 1"- base over 1" stone. Sand has been added from time to time. During this winter I have been giving them some Alfalfa hay which they eat some and kick around some.
    When I tidy up, I rake the hay and dispose, metal rake the remaining dirt/soil and then add some DE on top of it all.
    I guess what I'm asking is that my procedure does not account for getting all of the poo up, but more or less integrating it with the dirt.
    Is this the wrong approach? Do all of you try to clean up all poo? It would seem futile at best, no?
    Love to hear some feedback on whether my technique is adequate.
    Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might do a search on "deep litter method" (which is actually a group of methods.) Some people don't clean it up at all, or maybe once a year.

I hope you're using a scant amount of DE. It does help dry and control odor, but it's rough on lungs. Pelletized lime also helps dry and control odor, is cheaper, and has no dust to inhale.

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I used to use hay but my girls LOVED to eat it. It seemed okay....until one became bound. Upon expelling the poopy hay(undigested) she prolasped! Needless to say, she had to be put down. [​IMG] Now I simply rake up the poop from the dirt/sand in the run. When the poop dries it can be raked easily. I add sand to the run as needed.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a covered run with sand in it and they have mixed hay from the bales in it too. I don't rake up the poo and it just seems to disappear....one day I expect some huge upheaval and mounds of poo to come bursting forth!
    sharon

5. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    My first chicks will arrive in March and go into the coop around May, so I have time here. But is it okay to put shredded bark mulch in the run? Yes, they'll scratch it around, but I figure it'll help keep the mud to a minimum too. Is there any danger in that?

Those with covered runs, what do you use to cover them? Plastic? Sheet metal? ???

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:I was inquiring about my run, not the coop. I spot clean that day to day and do more serious cleans about once a month.
    I wanted to know about runs. Mine is covered, but with the damp winter/snow weather, moisture still gets up through from underneath...

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you're happy with its results, it's adequate [​IMG]

Seriously, that is the only real test there is. If things aren't muddy or stenchy or otherwise-nasty, then it is working. If they *do* get unsavory then you might want to try something else but if it ain't broke don't fix it [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by