keeping pheasants in flight pen....?

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
i have a pair of ringneck pheasants that i keep under my deck, their pen is 10ft long X 7ft wide.
They dont have room for flight in the pen, is this okay? I was reading on the internet that pheasants would prefer to run than to fly so shouldn't my pen be fine? If not what should i do?

Thanks any help would be appreciated!!

Hi Birdman,
How tall is the pen?Pheasants like to perch so they do need a little height in their pen.Mine are 6x12x6 high.Seems to be enough room for a trio of birds,but the more room you can give them the better.Plus if you need to go into the pen,it's best that you can walk in without banging your head on things.
That run instead of fly thing is if they are being hunted.They will run first and then fly if they can't shake whatever is stalking them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hi Tony,
The pen is only 1 ft to 1 1/2 ft tall. Should i maybe add a liitle flight area to this pen. If so how would i go about doing this?

Yeah when i do clean their pens, i try to avoid banging my head on the wood, i can fit quite easily in the pen by trying to crawl in but at times its difficult. But my pheasant really need an area for flight and sun i just wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks!!

Absolutley add more head space,they need to be able to strectch their wings and jump up onto perches.It excercises their wings and keeps them in shape.
What I did was I built a 12x12x6' high pen,split it into 2 pens 6x12x6.With your ringnecks being the only pheasants a 12x12x6 would be nice for them.I use hardware cloth on the sides and the roof.I also cover the roof with a construction tarp and put plenty of hiding places,srubs,plywood leaned against the side of their pen and of course perches.
In N.H.,Tony.

Oh yes much taller. My pen is 8-10 feet high, they can get excercise and devolp their wings. I allow each bird around 25 square feet. you are set with size, just not height. Could you post pics of what the pen looks like so we could help you out? Pheasants do like to perch, but a platform would be sufficient, they do not sleep on them like chickens do. They just use them as a look out. Also, come breeding season the hens will need to be able to get away from the rooster. (hopefully you only have one) A good rooster/hen ratio is 1:7 (one rooster for every 7 hens)

Here is my flight pen day one. They did not have any sticks in at this time, now there is a brush pile for them. My pen is 25'x30'

034.jpg

you can see the perch platforms here.
036-1.jpg

Immature pheasant
020-2.jpg

Last edited:
Also your state has requirements for raising ringnecks.They has Square foot per birds specs.Here it is 25 sq ft per bird,this only pertains to ringnecks.Ornamental pheasants fall under different guidelines which are not governed by states.But I would think for the benfit of the birds that everyone that raises them are thinking of the birds requirements and not what they can afford to provide for their birds.I feel that a pair of birds should not be in a pen any smaller then 8x8 with ample head space at least 6 ft high.Provided with a place to get out of the elements of weather.Most birds will not use it but it should be provided for them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
Ok i'll try to make it taller. Oh yes i'll post pictures of the pen a little later for you to see. For now i only have 2 pheasants but i'm trying to get just a few more so it will come in handy to add more height space. Thanks for all the help and the pictures you showed me, it was very helpful and i appreciate it!!

Quote:
Ok i'll try to make it taller. Oh yes i'll post pictures of the pen a little later for you to see. For now i only have 2 pheasants but i'm trying to get just a few more so it will come in handy to add more height space. Thanks for all the help and the pictures you showed me, it was very helpful and i appreciate it!!

You're welcome! Glad I could help. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom