keeping pigeons out?

earthmother1234

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
We have a mobile chicken coop which we move around the yard every 2-3 weeks, with star pickets and a wire fence to give the hens a new run. The coop is permanently open, and the hens are free to go in and out as they wish (we have no predators, so no need to lock them away at night - it is purely for shelter).

The hens get quite a large, fresh area every few weeks to free range on. They also have grain - in a feeder hanging in their coop.

My problem is that the local pigeons eat more of the grain than the hens do LOL. Is there some way I can stop them - but still give the hens free access to their grain?

I have just spent half an hour outside brainstorming. I was wondering if I hung colourful streamers down if that would be enough to keep the (smaller) pigeons away, but not the hens? I'm stumped . . . . and ideas gratefully received!

i have pigeons that run with my chickens. they are tame, but i let them go free, so they can fly around and make nests and do whatever they please. and your right they do eat alot of chicken scratch! lol.. but i wouldnt really worry about it. they are prob just feeding their babies.

but if you want them gone. put a fake hawk or owl or scary looking big bird on top of the coop. they are scared of them.. hope it helps

your welcome
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom