Keeping silkies.

embunney

Hatching
Sep 11, 2015
Hi there!

I've just recently purchased two beautiful bantam silkies!

I'm new to keeping silkies and finding them slightly high maintance too my other hens (golden sex links)

I also have another problem, my hen keeps really attacking one of my silkies to the point I'm thinking of re-homing her which is a shame as she's a fantastic egg layer.

Does anyone have any advice, hints or tips too keeping silkies and how to make my other hen lay off her... I only have 4 chickens all in all so seperAting them is a problem.

Thank you in advance

welcome-byc.gif

Without a period of time for the existing flock to get used to seeing the new birds, there will be some serious tussles. Your existing birds will see the new girls as interlopers. Before giving up one of your good egg layers, I'd find a way of temporarily separating them. Can you section off just a little bit of the coop and run? Or give the new girls a small dog crate for a week or two in the run so they all get used to each other before mixing them together?

Silkies are very popular and if you put that in the Search box, you'll get back a lot of threads.

Good luck to you.

Silkies and Polish chickens tend to get picked on because they don't look at all like ordinary chickens. Also with their huge crests, their vision is obscured, so they tend to be sitting ducks. If you can't partition them off, why not consider having the silkies as house chickens. They are small, and adapt well to confinement. My friend has 2 silkies and 2 seramas are house pets. She has had chickens for more than 25 years, various breeds but, silkies are her favorites .

You might try checking out the "people with house chickens," thread to see just how many keep them as house pets, and how they do it. Silkies don't fly and they prefer to pile up on the floor in a corner to sleep. The two of them should do very well in the house, and maybe you can just have a small tractor for them so they get some fresh air.

See coop section to learn about moveable tractors. You can also post for advice on the" Silkie thread"

Greetings and welcome to BYC @Silkielover05 :frow So glad you joined us. You did your first post asking a question on a thread that's been dead 2 1/2 years... You would have been better to start a new thread. :rolleyes: That being said... As long as all of them have been raised together it shouldn't be an issue. Make sure they have enough space so they don't HAVE to fight with each other. Please consider stopping by the new member introduction area (again) and post a little introduction in your own thread, so you can be welcomed properly! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

G’Day from down under Silkielover05 :frow Welcome!

As Latestarter has suggested, please do introduce yourself on your own thread so that we can properly welcome you.

I did just want to mention also that BYC has an active Silkie Thread that you may want to subscribe to.

When raised with large fowl from the beginning silkies are generally accepted. Introducing them to an established flock is a recipe for disaster.

Back
Top Bottom