Keeping the coop door open?

jenesis536

Songster
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
CA
We have coop with attached run (tractor coop) that is very secure. It is up against a pen area that is also very secure (all sides enclosed). They line up next to eachother, and there is a small door they can go through to get back and forth (the doors lock together so there is no entry from outside the pen/run.

Do you think it would be ok to leave their coop door open overnight so that they can get in and out on their own as early in the morning as they want to, or should I be locking it up every night.

This morning at 6:30 a.m. it was 29 degrees - the coldest it has been in a long time. It's been in the 30's. I live in California, so it doesn't snow here, but it does rain and we do get some wind.

Yah, it seems like practically every other person thinks their run is totally secure and predatorproof.

Very few of them actually ARE when challenged by a hungry predator.

Browse the "Predators and Pests" section of this forum if you don't believe me; a significant number of the "something et all my hens last night" threads are from people who were certain, just absolutely totally POSITIVE, that no way could anything get in.

I'm not at all telling you what to do, it's a personal decision. But make it with the knowledge that hardly any runs are GENUINELY predatorproof, and closing the popdoor is ALWAYS safer than not closing it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I wish I could leave the door open... Some days, I don't open their door until after I come home from work...
I close my door at night more for keeping the heat in than predators.
I'm hoping to make a very secure small run," no expense too great", that way, I can leave their door open.

I prefer to keep them closed in during the hours when there might be predators out (dusk to dawn). That seems to be the safest even though then have a fairly secure run. I'd feel really bad if I let them out and they were hurt or killed, when I could have prevented that.

That tractor/run sounds a lot like what my girls started in. I was never brave enough to leave the door to the run open, as there was nothing to prevent a predator from digging under the run. Is your run able to be dug into? I would be surprised if a portable tractor run was buried. You will probably sleep better with the door closed.

You mean I HAVE to get up and let them out!???!
wink.png
ALLLLL riiiiiggggghhhhhtttt. Geesh. You guys are probably right.
big_smile.png

Recently, i started covering my hen house door !!. i had been leaving it open at night. and since they were up earlier than me, i would put food and water out after they had gone to bed. BAD IDEA when i thought about it later. I saw how racoons can open stuff and climb if they want something bad enough. So I started NOT putting food out.
wee.gif

I wouldn't risk it, especially considering that we have killed 3 possums, 1 racoon, and caught 3 skunks in the past 2 weeks. Our coop is secure- but these were in the pen, and 2 of the possums were in broad daylight.

Back
Top Bottom