Keeping the flock busy!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fawkestheman, Oct 6, 2014.

1. fawkestheman

fawkestheman Chillin' With My Peeps

So its the fall now, and that means winter's coming! And that means more coop time. so what should i do to keep my flock from getting bored and picking on each other?

2. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    Snacks, corn on the cob or scratch is good

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I throw out whole apples and such and sometimes I hang them up. It is good entertainment for them and gives the little ones a chance at them too. The larger birds get their fill and the little ones are left with the remains. I know that apple seeds contain trace amounts of arsenic but so far have not had trouble with the store bought fruit.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hay and leaf matter to pick through and move about by scratching. Straw bale in direct sun to jump up one. A large pail with a mixture of potting soil and wood ash for dust bathing. Treats placed in ball or elevated location forcing birds to work mentally and physically for the additional eats.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is your coop plenty big enough for the number of birds you have? That is Number Uno!!

Do you usually free range?

What is your climate? Putting your location in your profile can help folks make more viable suggestions.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sprouts: mix of barley and wheat, BOSS, occasionally lentils.

Kitchen scraps. A bale of hay to kick around.

This year, I'll have more room, so may actually get around to giving them a swing: piece of 3" thick fire wood, long enough so 2 girls can swing together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by