keeping the run dry and clean

geegee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Hi everybody!We just got our 13 week old flock of reds out to the coop finally:D The problem is that I cant keep the run clean and dry.The birds {10} have been using the bathroom so much that I cant keep it raked up.Its been raining so much that its pretty wet and muddy.Will this be bad for the birds?Is there anything I could do about it?Thanks so much.
cool.png

If you have 10 birds in a 5' run you will never keep it clean. I don't know how wide but that is too many birds unless it is 20' wide. I would suggest if it is small to build a tractor if you can't let them free range. I built mine in about 3 or 4 hours and it was really cheap. I went with the hoop coop concept and it is 6x8 and I attached ropes on it and move it around to keep it in the shade, it is pretty light-it is ugly though!

My coop does much better when they aren't in it pooping all day, they like it better too! for keeping it dry I use sweet pdz that is used in horse stalls. They have been in it for over 2 weeks and so far no smell/no flies, but I do keep it stirred up and throw in leaves, grass, etc in the run and then rake it up in 2 or 3 days if they are not able to get out in the tractor.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom