Keeping them occupied

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hi,

Given that my chickens will be spending most of their time in our run (my parents decided they don't want to let them in our backyard, due to concerns about them getting the backyard messy), I'm thinking it would be a good idea for us to provide some things to keep them occupied. The only thing I can think of is maybe building some outdoor perches. What would be some other ideas?

Id suggest searching threads on this one. I have a vague recollection of reading one a few months ago.

CT

Anything they can get up onto and/or underneath:
roosts/perches made from lumber or tree branches,
stumps,
concrete blocks,
logs,
old tables/chairs,
pallet leaned up against the wall or horizontal up on several concrete blocks,
bale of straw or hay....
cleated ramps leading to any of the above.

Lay a couple boards down flat on the ground then move them every few days-bugs will under there.
Grazing frames for scratch proof plants to eat.

Hi,

Given that my chickens will be spending most of their time in our run (my parents decided they don't want to let them in our backyard, due to concerns about them getting the backyard messy), I'm thinking it would be a good idea for us to provide some things to keep them occupied.  The only thing I can think of is maybe building some outdoor perches.  What would be some other ideas?
I hang a cabbage from a string,it swings around as they peck at it,just hang it high enough so they have to jump a little to reach it,it will keep them busy for hours.

To keep them entertained them all you have to do is like what they said above.

Ramps leading to higher things

Something for them to scratch or peck at

A board where bugs can be found for the

Something for them to go underneath

Treats hidden(not too hidden)

Straw or something for them to peck at

Hanging treats

They will always find something to do.

Here is a link to keeping birds happy, towards the end their is things that you can also do to keep them occupied. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/keeping-chickens-happy

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom