1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping them out of the nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kalaim, Oct 16, 2008.

1. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm going to be putting in a nest box this weekend with my pullets, they range from about 13 weeks to 6 weeks old.

How do I keep them from just sitting on top of it and pooping on it etc.

Is it too early to put it in? I don't want them to think it's just a place to sit on etc.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have the same problem. Pooping on it....ahhhh! sick lol. I fixed the problem by putting my hen boxes lower than my roost bars. They prefer the higher areas.

3. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I warned my husband that this would happen, so he hinged a board from the wall and it closes over the top of the nesting boxes on a steep angle. The birds can't roost or poop on it, and we have a spot to store small coop supplies underneath.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I store my food and seed treat containers on the top of the nestbox to keep the girls off it.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I would wait personally. Mine were built in and they got in them all the time...messed them up. Then once they started laying they didn't go in them. They just laid them in the corner on the floor. Finally after months they have got the idea that is where they are suppose to lay.

So i would wail til they are about 19 weeks and then add them and put bedding and fake eggs in them. I think they'll get the idea better that way.

Just my opinion though. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with 'Adri'. I have my nest boxes on the outside of my coop, with the holes cut through the wall of the coopI have a lid. Here is a picture of the first two nest boxes.

[​IMG]

7. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    NICE! I wish we could have put the boxes outside the coop for easier collection! Because we are in a northern climate we were worried that doing that would lose too much heat from the coop.

Despite my warnings, my DH built the boxes without an angled roof, so this was an add-on, but it works. Here's the only photo I can find that shows the lid on the nests. (with Benny, my Brown-Red Ameraucana rooster, and his love, Zebra, the barred rock hen, in the background).
    [​IMG]

8. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Thanks all! The slanted roof seems the way to go for us.

Love all the pictures! I love to see other's coops!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by