Keeping them out of the nest box

kalaim

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
I'm going to be putting in a nest box this weekend with my pullets, they range from about 13 weeks to 6 weeks old.

How do I keep them from just sitting on top of it and pooping on it etc.

Is it too early to put it in? I don't want them to think it's just a place to sit on etc.

Thanks!
smile.png

I have the same problem. Pooping on it....ahhhh! sick lol. I fixed the problem by putting my hen boxes lower than my roost bars. They prefer the higher areas.

I warned my husband that this would happen, so he hinged a board from the wall and it closes over the top of the nesting boxes on a steep angle. The birds can't roost or poop on it, and we have a spot to store small coop supplies underneath.

I would wait personally. Mine were built in and they got in them all the time...messed them up. Then once they started laying they didn't go in them. They just laid them in the corner on the floor. Finally after months they have got the idea that is where they are suppose to lay.

So i would wail til they are about 19 weeks and then add them and put bedding and fake eggs in them. I think they'll get the idea better that way.

Just my opinion though.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree with 'Adri'. I have my nest boxes on the outside of my coop, with the holes cut through the wall of the coopI have a lid. Here is a picture of the first two nest boxes.

DSC00034.jpg

NICE! I wish we could have put the boxes outside the coop for easier collection! Because we are in a northern climate we were worried that doing that would lose too much heat from the coop.

Despite my warnings, my DH built the boxes without an angled roof, so this was an add-on, but it works. Here's the only photo I can find that shows the lid on the nests. (with Benny, my Brown-Red Ameraucana rooster, and his love, Zebra, the barred rock hen, in the background).
cooplid-1.jpg

Thanks all! The slanted roof seems the way to go for us.

Love all the pictures! I love to see other's coops!

Back
Top Bottom