Keeping them warm In the winter

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Hi has anyone put bubble wrap on thier windows for the winter. I was doing some reading on Insulating and one person said they use bubble wrap on their window just cut it to size and I guess it sticks! they used it in their house and when they had guest over they just peel it off and put it back on after. You can recycle some old packing bubble material also.

I have sliding windows in my coop and in Phoenix, I'll just turn off the fan during the evening that I have pushing air out of the coop and I'll just close both windows.

I'm in Massachusetts and it can get cold. I think I'll try it in my coop to Insulate the windows.

I saw an article in Motherearth news last fall and they mentioned using bubble wrap with the big bubbles (3/4 inch)over windows to help insulate. Place the bubble side against the window with flat facing inside it is supposed to create a layer of trapped air.

I do it on my basement windows. Supposedly it gives about R2 or so (for a single layer of bubblewrap) which isn't much but sure better than nothing. I use narrow doublesided tape to stick the bubblewrap onto the windowframe.

Obviously if you do your coop windows that way you will not be opening them during the window so need to be certain you have ample ventilatoin from other sources.

Have fun,

Pat

I've been working on some replacement windows for my coop using essentially plexiglass, softwood, machine screws, glue, and copious amounts of caulking. Here's hoping it works better than the old wooden single panes - they are a fair amount of work, but at ~$30 a pop it's cheaper than anything else I can find for a custom fit. I doubt I'll get them all done in time (5 windows) so I've been looking in to some of the 3M Products.

They have it for indoor and outdoor, it appears to be a double sided tape and plastic film - if nothing else it should eliminated drafts completely. Might not be as cheap as bubble wrap, but it should allow a larger air space which could up the R-value, I'm just not sure if the little chooks will destroy it.

Hey Pat, your ventilation link pulls up a blank page ?
(p.s. nevermind, just had to take the "!" off the end!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom