Keeping water from freezing in -degree weather

I'm in Northern Utah. We use a cinder block with a 100 watt light bulb (150 watt would likely work too), put the waterer on top and it works great. We even use the plastic waterers tho a heavy rubber or metal bowl (like a oil drain pan) works well too and would probably be better with the higher wattage bulbs. Only once did we have a problem with water getting on the light bulb and breaking it, but it was human error rather than chicken mischief. You could also use a metal oil pan upside-down on the bulb with a waterer or bowl on it. Even a crock bowl, anything that won't melt but protects the light and holds the watering devise.

I live NW Coast and we don't have too many freezing mornings that freeze my hens water. But, when we do, I go out with super hot water from my kitchen in a bucket and pour it over their iced tub. It warms up their water and they love the warm water. That usually lasts all day until the night! This is a cheap way to go.If you use a heater, it must be plugged directly into a plug and I don't have any in or near my coop. You can buy special heater water feeders at the feed stores. They are about $70... but must be plugged right into a socket! They also cost a lot on your electrical utility. I know as I use one in my horse and mini donkey's water tub. They also love the warm water on cold days. I keep it on right thru the winter.

materials: drop light (I use 60w bulb) and cookie tin (or equivalent)
Lay light on ground; turn cookie tin upside down over it; set waterer on top. bingo.

Last edited:
Yes. Mine did...snow, ice, rain.....it didn't matter. They were out there, and "in" it. (Except when it rains hard they're going for shelter...)

I live in Maine where -20 (or lower) is the norm in the height of winter, I have a large flock and have heated water successfully for many years. I use rubber bowls with a submersible heater (many are sold as bird bath heaters). Circulating the water is not necessary. I have found it to be the best solution as heating bases don't hold up or warm large amounts of water efficiently. I would steer away from the heating tape method.

I lived in CT most all my life were it was like zero in the day time & we fed clean newely fallen snow to our hens in a big bowl on the coop floor, since they ate snow all the time when out freeranging , so i tried it and it was fine , but the problem remains, if there is no snow...? your idea sounds like the best....!! : )

(smile) Forget the drilling and installing.
Turn the cookie tin upside down; lay light on the ground underneath it; throw away the lid.
Worked all last winter for me. there-you-go.

Last year was my first year of having birds for the winter. We live in Saskatchewan Canada and our temps go down to -40. We had 40 guineas and 5 chickens and I didn't know what to use for water. I bought a heated dog water bowl that holds a gallon of water. It cost $25 and worked wonderful all winter. This year we have 25 chickens and 25 guineas and I will use 2 dog bowls. They are great because they have a thermostat that shuts off when it warms up.

o yes those BIG BLACK HEAVY RUBBER HORSE GRAIN BOWLS, they are the best, i used them for many reasons.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom