Keeping water from freezing in the winter

Pics
I would do it differently a second time around. Sometimes they leak pretty good, but it usually only takes a little tightening of the nipple to stop a leak. I've got nine nipples on that pipe and could probably get away with only three or four. I started out with eight birds when I built the coop but now am down to only five.

I would do it differently a second time around. Sometimes they leak pretty good, but it usually only takes a little tightening of the nipple to stop a leak. I've got nine nipples on that pipe and could probably get away with only three or four. I started out with eight birds when I built the coop but now am down to only five.
It's the way the pin 'seal' works on VN's...by gravity.......threads leaking is different issue.

From the outlet on my deck to where I would put the heated bowl is about 125 feet (measured with Google Earth). I will need to use a few extension cords, with cord connection covers as @Kasilofchrisn mentioned.
Getting an order together for Chewy.com---the bowl is only $13.77 now.

Internet searches. Chewy.com heated water bowl uses 25 Watts. 25 Watts with 120 AC voltage equals .21 Amps. A 16 gauge extension cord 0 to 100 feet in length is good for up to 10 Amps. I see no problem you using 16 gauge extension cord to reach the 125 to 150 feet you could need. Sure beats hauling water sever times a time 7 days a week.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/200-feet-of-extension-cords-is-it-to-much.274198/

Hi,

Was 8 below last night in CT and the water did not freeze. We have had a cold snap where the temp has not gone above 32 for about two weeks and this arrived this past Tuesday and has kept the water flowing for my girls ever since. I just wish I had found this years ago, makes taking good care of my hens much easier during the winter months. My hens had never drank from a waterer like this but I just had to poke at the nipple and let a little water into the well and they figured it right out. Well made but initially would have liked the cover fastened to keep them from getting it off but so far it hasn't been an issue. just taking this idea from https://finalscope.com/best-heated-chicken-waterer/.
Not only does it work great but the quality, durability, ease of use and convenience make this my favorite purchase for my chicks so far!!

Farm Innovators HB-60P Drinker.jpg

Was 8 below last night in CT and the water did not freeze. We have had a cold snap where the temp has not gone above 32 for about two week
F or C?
Numbers you give are confusing.

Welcome to BYC! @florenceccollinsc
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1585918021678.png

Hi,

Was 8 below last night in CT and the water did not freeze. We have had a cold snap where the temp has not gone above 32 for about two weeks and this arrived this past Tuesday and has kept the water flowing for my girls ever since. I just wish I had found this years ago, makes taking good care of my hens much easier during the winter months. My hens had never drank from a waterer like this but I just had to poke at the nipple and let a little water into the well and they figured it right out. Well made but initially would have liked the cover fastened to keep them from getting it off but so far it hasn't been an issue. just taking this idea from https://finalscope.com/best-heated-chicken-waterer/.
Not only does it work great but the quality, durability, ease of use and convenience make this my favorite purchase for my chicks so far!!

Thank you so much for the info!! This is so great to know. It sounds like an amazing product! 😍

Back
Top Bottom