Keet Not Growing. Behaviorally Normal.

Bicoastal

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Central VA
My little gray keet has not kept pace with growth of others in her hatch. Keets are seven days old. Fed Purina Gamebird 30% protein starter crumble and chick grit. Water and water +Sav-A-Chick electrolytes and probiotics available.

I noticed around four days of age that she seemed to not be growing like the others. At seven days old, her feather development is behind the others.

Her crop gets very large and bulgy. So I researched that and started removing food and water overnight, trying to get her to consume coconut oil, and massaging her crop. Crop does seem to reduce overnight. She greedily fills it right up in the morning.

Behaviorally she acts like the others and is eating, drinking, pooping, active. Anything I can do to help her?

Attachments

• IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    932.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 7
@TwoCrows can you move this back to the Hatching Forum? The problems are common in chicks and I will get more feedback there. It isn’t specific to guineas.

Today I noticed this keet’s toes are curling inward. Are we looking at a vitamin b deficiency?

If so, I purchase human vitamin B from the pharmacy, crush it and add to the water. Is that right? So the other keets will get it too. And that’s ok?

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 4
@TwoCrows can you move this back to the Hatching Forum? The problems are common in chicks and I will get more feedback there. It isn’t specific to guineas.

Today I noticed this keet’s toes are curling inward. Are we looking at a vitamin b deficiency?

If so, I purchase human vitamin B from the pharmacy, crush it and add to the water. Is that right? So the other keets will get it too. And that’s ok?
It's okay to give vitamin B complex to all the keets. They will all benefit from the increased levels of niacin and thiamine.

Keets feet "curling in" at hatch time can be due to hatching problems. When it happens days after the hatch it is usually genetic.

I suspect that your under size keet has genetic issues.

I suspect that your under size keet has genetic issues.
Thanks for chiming in, @R2elk. The guinea subforum relies on you so much.

I’m afraid you are right about a larger genetic issue, of which I am observing symptoms.

But if it won’t hurt the others, I’ll add Vit B complex. I’m seeing different recommendations for dosages. What product and how do you suggest I administer it?

I’ve spent so much time massaging her crop, observing her, making adjustments to ensure her needs are met like grinding the food and adding a second feeder.

One naturally roots for the little guy or the under dog. It’s going to break my heart when she dies.

I’m afraid you are right about a larger genetic issue, of which I am observing symptoms.

But if it won’t hurt the others, I’ll add Vit B complex. I’m seeing different recommendations for dosages. What product and how do you suggest I administer it?

I’ve spent so much time massaging her crop, observing her, making adjustments to ensure her needs are met like grinding the food and adding a second feeder.

One naturally roots for the little guy or the under dog. It’s going to break my heart when she dies.
The dosage I give out is 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

I strongly recommend that you stop massaging its crop. Their crops are not meant to be massaged.

Personally I don't do much more than do taped legs for splay leg. Ones that I feel may have genetic defects, I cull very quickly. I don't want them in my breeding flock or anyone else's breeding flock.

Good luck.

If you haven't already you can put a piece of tape on the bottom of its foot with the curled toes. It will hate it, but will help the intial stages of growth and keeping the toes straight.

We will typically have one or two keets who present as failure to thrive, as a chick would, but end up doing okay. You will just want to monitor and make sure she is getting time at the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom