Kent man said no oyster shell

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Always, always offer oyster shell! Chickens are not stupid. If they don't need it they won't eat it.
I have hundreds of chickens, some free range and some are in breeder pens. I offer it to all my chickens that are laying age. Some of my birds consume it quickly and others do not even though I feed a balanced diet with supposedly plenty of calcium in it.

I never realized they needed it so badly until I had not given it for a few months and then offered it again. They gulped it up like candy and started laying a lot better, even those that free range on my pastures. Don't believe what people tell you about a commercialized food. Go by what your chickens tell you, they are the experts.

just because they eat it doesn't mean they are in need of it, that could be up to interpretation.

My hens/pullets have been laying about 3 weeks. They stay out most of the day and but the run door is always open for um. They have access to the layer all day. I have to assume something they're getting is certainly working. Their shells are anything but soft. I haven't fed oyster shells yet and considering the hardness the shells I don't know if I should. It will take a hammer to crack the shells.
smile.png

my birds are in rotated pens that are covered with aviary netting. Areas are large enough that they are all always on something green and plenty of bugs find there way in. They spend 60% of their time outside nipping at clover/etc, pecking around. Otherwise, they head in to the coop to hang out or grab some feed. I don't give them scratch yet, just occasional tomato or treat. Will probably start on small amounts of a good quality scratch when the pickens get slim in the runs.

Back
Top Bottom