Kentucky Chicken and Peafowl traders HERE!

Quote:
Flowerpot how are the new babies doing? They are 1 week old today!
wee.gif
Mine are a bunch of little brats, they keep kicking the shavings into their waterer.
duc.gif
And they are already trying to fly out of the brooder.
tongue.gif
Little stinkers!

I agree the peacocks are beautiful, and maybe one day I'll be able to have some of my own.

Hey mario, how do you like the leghorns? are they as wild as "they" say? I wouldnt mind adding some to my four free ranging flock but I am hesitant due to what people say.

Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:
I want young ones, but not bottle babies - I'll be raising them to eat, not looking for a milk cow.

I have seen bottle babies (one or two) there before, but not in any quantity. I just want a weanling or two - I don't care if it is bigger than that (as long as it is weaned) cause I have a freezer full of cow right now from our last one we butchered.

The cow we took in to butcher was actually under a year old - but she weighed out live at 760 pounds. We got her last spring as a weanling - paid a heck of a lot more than 30-50 bucks for her!! She was a holstein, but a twin, so no good for breeding. She makes a fine steak or roast, though
big_smile.png

meri

Can I ask about twins and breeding. I don't have cattle but I had not heard that before.​

Quote:
I want young ones, but not bottle babies - I'll be raising them to eat, not looking for a milk cow.

I have seen bottle babies (one or two) there before, but not in any quantity. I just want a weanling or two - I don't care if it is bigger than that (as long as it is weaned) cause I have a freezer full of cow right now from our last one we butchered.

The cow we took in to butcher was actually under a year old - but she weighed out live at 760 pounds. We got her last spring as a weanling - paid a heck of a lot more than 30-50 bucks for her!! She was a holstein, but a twin, so no good for breeding. She makes a fine steak or roast, though
big_smile.png

meri

Can I ask about twins and breeding. I don't have cattle but I had not heard that before.

with cows if it is a twin, they are sterile, so they can't breed. I don't know if it is just with a boy and girl twin, or just twins in general, she was a boy/girl twin.

Mojo Chick'n :

with cows if it is a twin, they are sterile, so they can't breed. I don't know if it is just with a boy and girl twin, or just twins in general, she was a boy/girl twin.

It's boy/girl twins, and it only affects the female twin. She gets affected by the male's testosterone in the uterus. I don't think it always happens, but with cows there's a high risk of it.​

Quote:
It's boy/girl twins, and it only affects the female twin. She gets affected by the male's testosterone in the uterus. I don't think it always happens, but with cows there's a high risk of it.

ahh, cool, thanks for the info, because I didn't know, either, until the guy said so to us when he sold her.

I don't breed cows, so I guess I didn't need to know until then
wink.png

Good thing that doesn't happen with all "animals"
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom