kerosene

ShaggysGirl

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Temperance, MI
HI guys,
My coops attach to the garage one has a small window to the garage and one is a whole 12' wall.
DH got a kerosene heater for the garage is that safe fume wise for the chickens? It is a newer one and supposedly has no smell unlike the old ones.

Well, I wouldn't do it, but you might be ok.

The main two things to remember are that kerosene heaters give off a) carbon monoxide and b) a lot of water vapor, both of which will mean you need extra ventilation in your coop (that is, extra venting to the outdoors).

At the very least, it would be smart to close that window to the garage and make sure there are no other major inlets for garage air into the coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We used one of those types of heaters when we lived up north. I would not use one again. Even orderless, as she brought out, the oxygen levels change and they can be dramatic.

If you are attached to a garage, you likely have electricity handy. I would bit the bullet and provide some minimal electrical heat as necessary. We used a temperature regulated infared heater on our animals when we lived north and worked great.

My vote is NO! I'm with the above posts. Carbon Monoxide is extreme deadly. Especially to birds. They're the first to go. That's why they use to use Canaries in Coal Mines. If the canary died that was the time for the miners to get out and get out fast. Dangerous gases were present.
Hope that helps. Perhaps you could block the opening to the garage so none of the fumes would get into the coop.
Good Luck!:
wink.png

I don't know anything about carbon monoxide and oxygen levels, etc., but I do know that when I lived in Phx I worked at a restaurant that had karosene lanterns on the tables for a "country" feel. There was no smell and they were small. Well, customers were dropping like FLIES from heart attacks. They finally figured it out that it was the karosene. So for what it's worth, I think you're wise in finding another heat source.

close the window to the garage. the coops should be vented enought without it. the garage should also be ventilated when the heater is running. figure about one square foot per 30,000 btu's of output.

Back
Top Bottom