Khaki Cambell Ducklings wing bleeding.

Corinne23

Songster
Aug 5, 2021
Hi! I have 2 Khaki Cambell Ducklings both about 4-5 weeks old and molting. It seems I have one male and one female. The female has been “screeching” everyday for the past few days. This morning I walked into the room after she screeched and her wing was bleeding at the tip from one of the feathers. I got it to stop before I left for work but I do not know what to do or if he is biting her.

Attachments

• 5C628621-2B52-4D58-B0D9-EA0797FBC520.jpeg
    5C628621-2B52-4D58-B0D9-EA0797FBC520.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 15
:welcome It is very likely that he is biting her. Separate them with a see through divider - wire, glass, plastic etc. Once her pin feathers have matured they can be reintroduced. More space may be needed.

:welcome It is very likely that he is biting her. Separate them with a see through divider - wire, glass, plastic etc. Once her pin feathers have matured they can be reintroduced. More space may be needed.
Is it normal for the males to be mean to the females? Is there anything else I should know this is my first time with Khaki Cambell’s and I have no clue what I am doing.

Hi! I have 2 Khaki Cambell Ducklings both about 4-5 weeks old and molting. It seems I have one male and one female. The female has been “screeching” everyday for the past few days. This morning I walked into the room after she screeched and her wing was bleeding at the tip from one of the feathers. I got it to stop before I left for work but I do not know what to do or if he is biting her.
What feed are they on and how big is their brooder space? Usually feather plucking at that age is caused by either malnutrition or overcrowding.

What feed are they on and how big is their brooder space? Usually feather plucking at that age is caused by either malnutrition or overcrowding.
They are in a x-large dog pen that take up half a room with pine shaving as the bedding. They are eating Purina flock raisers. I am filling there water bowl every 2-3 hours they are playing with it more then drinking it

Attachments

• BBAD5A2E-090A-43EE-B0C9-F388A0A368CF.jpeg
    BBAD5A2E-090A-43EE-B0C9-F388A0A368CF.jpeg
    783.6 KB · Views: 8
They are in a x-large dog pen that take up half a room with pine shaving as the bedding. They are eating Purina flock raisers. I am filling there water bowl every 2-3 hours they are playing with it more then drinking it
They need a deeper bowl for drinking as ducks need to be able to dunk their whole head to fully clean and clear their nares and eyes. Also is that a heat lamp? It is covering too much of their area and honestly with how old they are unless you keep your house very cool at their age they are more than likely overheating with a heat lamp. I always start newly hatched ducklings off at 90 degrees and take the temperature down 5 degrees per week from there. At 4-5 weeks they should be kept at 65-70 degrees. As for the Purina flock raiser I'm overall not a fan of Purina. I noticed with COVID and the feed shortages the times I had to use Purina because it was all I could get my hands on my ducks did not thrive like they do on feeds like Kalmbach and Mazuri. I now have everyone solely on Mazuri and I'm really likely it.

They need a deeper bowl for drinking as ducks need to be able to dunk their whole head to fully clean and clear their nares and eyes. Also is that a heat lamp? It is covering too much of their area and honestly with how old they are unless you keep your house very cool at their age they are more than likely overheating with a heat lamp. I always start newly hatched ducklings off at 90 degrees and take the temperature down 5 degrees per week from there. At 4-5 weeks they should be kept at 65-70 degrees. As for the Purina flock raiser I'm overall not a fan of Purina. I noticed with COVID and the feed shortages the times I had to use Purina because it was all I could get my hands on my ducks did not thrive like they do on feeds like Kalmbach and Mazuri. I now have everyone solely on Mazuri and I'm really likely it.

Thank you! I honestly am very new to this. I separated them until her wing heals is there anything else I should do?

Thank you! I honestly am very new to this. I separated them until her wing heals is there anything else I should do?
That's okay we all were new to ducks at some point! As long as the bleeding has stopped it should heal just fine on its own. If you're worried you could put a little original Neosporin on it. Original meaning it has NO pain, scar or extra medication in it just plain old Neosporin. If you plan on keeping the pair I would recommend on starting your search now for more females to add so when they do reach sexual maturity he isn't tearing at her for mating reasons. 1 male to 1 female rarely ever works successfully long term. I'm not saying it can happen, but it's not common.

That's okay we all were new to ducks at some point! As long as the bleeding has stopped it should heal just fine on its own. If you're worried you could put a little original Neosporin on it. Original meaning it has NO pain, scar or extra medication in it just plain old Neosporin. If you plan on keeping the pair I would recommend on starting your search now for more females to add so when they do reach sexual maturity he isn't tearing at her for mating reasons. 1 male to 1 female rarely ever works successfully long term. I'm not saying it can happen, but it's not common.
Thank you very much! We took them out today together with us sitting with them and he pulled at her wing twice so we separated them again right away. We are going to tractor supply Sunday to see if they have them in if not I am going to look into where I can get a female or 2 online.

Right about at that age a bunch of mine were pulling out their own feathers to the point where they'd bleed a bit... that's the first molt- their adult feathers were just starting to come in and guess that was bothering them? They were also just moved outside so the stress from that could've been a factor too. It settled down after just a few days, and all are happy and healthy now at 13ish weeks. :)

Back
Top Bottom