Khaki Campbell ducklings

alexma

Hatching
Dec 15, 2015
Hello,
I am new to the site and looking for a little advice. Our beautiful Khaki Campbell just broke all the rules, went broody and has just hatched some ducklings.

We have had our ducks for 3 years and they are totally free range, we live on acarage with a dam, they do there own thing and we have never locked them up at night or had an issues losing any.

Now that we have ducklings I was looking for advice from anyone who may have a similar situation and wondering what you did once you had ducklings?

I am in 2 minds, do I let them be and see how they go or do I lock the mother and babies up? (She has never been locked up so not sure she will be happy with me). She is still sitting on the nest with them and hasn't ventured down to the dam yet.

Look forward to hearing what others have done.

Personally I'd put them in a secure pen, a while ago we had a 7 year old duck who had lived outside all her life and finally hatched some ducklings. We decided not to catch them cause we didn't want to stress her out and that night the mama and all her babies were eaten
sad.png

Personally I'd put them in a secure pen, a while ago we had a 7 year old duck who had lived outside all her life and finally hatched some ducklings. We decided not to catch them cause we didn't want to stress her out and that night the mama and all her babies were eaten
sad.png
So sorry @Lozuufy .

Hello,
I am new to the site and looking for a little advice. Our beautiful Khaki Campbell just broke all the rules, went broody and has just hatched some ducklings.

We have had our ducks for 3 years and they are totally free range, we live on acarage with a dam, they do there own thing and we have never locked them up at night or had an issues losing any.

Now that we have ducklings I was looking for advice from anyone who may have a similar situation and wondering what you did once you had ducklings?

I am in 2 minds, do I let them be and see how they go or do I lock the mother and babies up? (She has never been locked up so not sure she will be happy with me). She is still sitting on the nest with them and hasn't ventured down to the dam yet.

Look forward to hearing what others have done.
@alexma do you want to take the risk of losing your precious ducklings and possibly mama too? Because that is what your doing. She maybe a little put out for a while but she shouldn't mind so much since all her attention is going to be on her ducklings. Plus it's our responsibility to protect them.

Congrats and maybe some pics when you can? Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom