Khaki Campbell lost her voice/quack

AnyaNZ

Hatching
Sep 27, 2021
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this group but have definitely spent a lot of time reading other posts! I have a Khaki Campbell pet duck, she is about 9 years old and 3 days ago I noticed she can't quack. She tries really hard but just a faint raspy sounds comes out. There's a very deep line in her chest / cleavage that wasn't there before too. She is eating, drinking and swimming as normal. I've taken her to the vet and they cannot figure it out other than to monitor her and if she gets poorly they may do x-rays, but I'd rather not stress her any more. I've read about a zoo in the US treating for a fungal condition - has anyone heard of something similar? I cannot find anything else on the internet about it. Thanks in advance!
IMG_0448.jpg

She is adorable. :welcome
I am at a loss especially if she is eating drinking and doing all normal duck things. Maybe age? and I would think if it was fungal you'd be seeing other signs or her being sick. But she doesn't sound sick at all other than voice loss. Did the vet say she was in good weight?

Is it possible she has a small obstruction in her throat so she could still eat or drink but it's affecting her quacking?

Thanks so much for responding! The vets put a stick down her throat and swiped around her crop and they couldn't feel any obstruction. Her weight is good, but I've been told to check it weekly. They felt all over her chest and neck and said that nothing feels strange apart from the deep line. So other than the loss of voice and deep line in her chest she is in good condition. She does seem frustrated with not being able to quack though.
I'll ask the vets if they think it could be a fungal thing..

Last edited:
I've been keeping an eye on her over the last 2 weeks, and I noticed she is quite a bit bigger than her sister who was practically identical to her. She looks almost swollen / puffy and is especially noticeable in the face.
Well last weekend she started looking less 'big' and her quack has started coming back! She's not as loud as before but can definitely quack again. And her cleavage line doesn't look as deep anymore but is still quite defined.
I think it could have been some kind of allergic reaction. Will call the vet back sometime and see what he thinks. But so far she is getting better on her own. I should note I did treat them all for worms last Sunday but she did quack at least a day before that.

Back
Top Bottom