Khaki Campbell or Rouen?

Keri_M

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
We thought our duck Freeda was a Rouen until we got some other Rouens, and noticed she is way smaller and her markings are different. She’s also more skittish and produces an obscene amount of eggs. I think she might be Khaki Campbell or maybe a mix? What do you think? She’s on the right in the group photo, she doesn’t have a dark mask.

Attachments

• F50D0F8B-0376-47A6-98FC-FE9875E02F86.jpeg
    F50D0F8B-0376-47A6-98FC-FE9875E02F86.jpeg
    997.9 KB · Views: 125
  • CDA295AA-A155-4600-AA45-6F4EF15EB8DC.jpeg
    CDA295AA-A155-4600-AA45-6F4EF15EB8DC.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 91
  • 882D38E1-4C6C-453F-9303-DF99FEC3FD20.jpeg
    882D38E1-4C6C-453F-9303-DF99FEC3FD20.jpeg
    994.1 KB · Views: 100
eWe thought our duck Freeda was a Rouen until we got some other Rouens, and noticed she is way smaller and her markings are different. She’s also more skittish and produces an obscene amount of eggs. I think she might be Khaki Campbell or maybe a mix? What do you think? She’s on the right in the group photo, she doesn’t have a dark mask.
that is a rouen because i can tell the difference because khaki campbells are more plain brown while rouens have these designs to it
1650819263643.png

She can only be 1/2 Khaki if her mother was the Khaki. The blue speculum on her wings would be dark brown if her dad was the Khaki (sex-linked trait). Where did you get her? If from a feed store I would think she is from a hatchery and is a Rouen.

I got her from a farm that is basically a hatchery. She is smaller and lighter than the other Rouen but definitely the same general pattern. It’s like she’s a diluted Rouen. More brown, fainter markings.
I hand raised my Rouen and they are so different. Big fat birds that are super social and friendly. Freeda is not like that. She doesn’t have the structure of a meat bird, she’s more dainty.

I actually got Rouen hatching eggs because I wanted more birds like Freeda. They didn’t turn out to be the same. Then I realized Freeda churns out more eggs than anyone and started wondering if she had khaki in her.

that is a rouen because i can tell the difference because khaki campbells are more plain brown while rouens have these designs to
I actually got Rouen hatching eggs because I wanted more birds like Freeda. They didn’t turn out to be the same. Then I realized Freeda churns out more eggs than anyone and started wondering if she had khaki in her.
Well khaki were made from runner Rouen and mallard
When bred outside the purebred line they do take on the other genes
So possible she was crossbred with khaki but still has mostly Rouen look just slightly off
With my khaki / Pekin mix my girls are a mix between Rouen and khaki for looks and my boys are a mix of mallard / Rouen For looks
My girls are smaller like dad but my boys are bigger then mom and have the Metallic changing teal , blue and purple with a much brighter green head then dad abd mire grey/ brown then chocolate brown. Funny how it works

We thought our duck Freeda was a Rouen until we got some other Rouens, and noticed she is way smaller and her markings are different. She’s also more skittish and produces an obscene amount of eggs. I think she might be Khaki Campbell or maybe a mix? What do you think? She’s on the right in the group photo, she doesn’t have a dark mask.
She’s definitely got sone Rouen in her. I have no idea what she’s mixed with, but she does look like some sort of cross. I only have experience in Rouens. All of mine lay everyday, without fail, except for one who just suddenly stopped laying for no apparent reason. She’s also the smallest of all the Rouens I’ve ever had.

Back
Top Bottom