Khaki Campbell sexing

MollyHSmith

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
My Khaki Campbell ducks are starting to get their voices in. So far I can’t tell the difference between a female quack & male noise. I’ve been looking at their beaks and have noticed that some are getting lighter, some darker, some with caramel colored beans, and some dark beans. Does anyone have any knowledge on some reliable sexing characteristics of bills? I’ll post a pic below.. it was hard to get them all still to take photos 😂

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    830.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 95
My Khaki Campbell ducks are starting to get their voices in. So far I can’t tell the difference between a female quack & male noise. I’ve been looking at their beaks and have noticed that some are getting lighter, some darker, some with caramel colored beans, and some dark beans. Does anyone have any knowledge on some reliable sexing characteristics of bills? I’ll post a pic below.. it was hard to get them all still to take photos 😂
So the one closest to the camera appears to be a girl.. The one behind her a boy. It is hard to see the other two in the pool but my best guess is boys. Often with Khaki Campbells you can tell with the color of the feathers above the tail. Dark brown/blackish solid feathers are always boys. Two-tone lighter feathers are usually girls. Also, boys bills will be starting to turn bluish while the girls are more pinky brown.
IMG_1272.jpg

How old were they when you got them?
Beak sexing is fairly reliable in the first 5-7 days, if you got them that young and have photos.

I had KC hens, but have not had a drake.
They were pretty evenly colored, although some of my hens did have a bit of a “hood” when they were young.
Def a darker brown, no green or iridescent feathers.

Looking at photos of the drakes online.... not all of them appear to get the curled tail feathers- although many seem to.

If you got them when they were a bit older.... you may just need to wait to see feather and voice development. But the hens definitely “quack” and the drakes “squeak” early on.

Attachments

• 7ACEA652-7D5D-41E6-88BD-B3C3BFC17818.jpeg
    7ACEA652-7D5D-41E6-88BD-B3C3BFC17818.jpeg
    923.8 KB · Views: 63
I have the same question about these two that I got from the feed store as ducklings.

I tried to sex them at the store but being an amateur duck enthusiast I may not have got it right.

Can anyone help me please identify if these two are hens or Drakes? They are roughly 6 weeks old right now.

Please and thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4074.jpeg
    IMG_4074.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    758.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    819.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have the same question about these two that I got from the feed store as ducklings.

I tried to sex them at the store but being a armature duck enthusiast I may not have got it right.

Can anyone help me please identify if these two are hens or Drakes? They are roughly 3 to 4 months old right now.

Please and thanks!
By this time you should know by voice
You can take a video of holding each one separate and I can help that way
My khaki drake has a green bill and darker brown head with flecks of green
I don’t own a female khaki to compare
All my girls are other breeds

So sorry, but they are both drakes. With the dusky breeds, like Khakis, the feathers above the tail can be a giveaway. Solid dark feathers are boys, light two-tone feathers are girls, but dark, two tone feathers seem to go either way. In the picture below, my drake is on the right, and my hen is in the left.
255D173D-6FF4-47B9-9310-900EBA66ED61.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom