Khaki Campbells not laying

trapper175

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Hey all, first post here - I bought 13 khakis about a month ago (5 drakes and 8 hens) and was told they were laying about 10 eggs per week between them. They haven't layed at all since I brought them home; any thoughts as to why? I have a small coop but they sleep outside of it at night and completely free range during the day. I throw them a couple handfuls of mixed flock pellets every morning and occasionally some cracked corn. There is a small creek on the property that they spend alot of time in; Ive walked it a few times to see if they'd made any nests along it but I didn't see any. Could it be that they're still adjusting to the new location? I was told they're about 1 year and a half to 2 years old. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

They are most likely hiding their eggs. You may not have found them, but that doesn't mean they are laying lol. One of my girls laid a egg a few weeks ago, and I haven't found any since. That may not be the case, as ducks and chickens slow down or completely stop laying in the winter months. Where are you located? Now, I'm not sure if you are aware but you have too many drakes and not enough hens. In the Spring, which is mating season, your hens will be overmated and can be injured, stressed, drowned, or killed. The drakes will begin fighting each other, too. To prevent this, you could separate a few of the drakes, or rehome a few, or add more girls. I wish you luck.

Thanks for that info, I appreciate it. Whats a good ratio of males to females?

Do you think I should look harder along the creek bank?

I'm located in Central PA.

Thanks for that info, I appreciate it. Whats a good ratio of males to females?

Do you think I should look harder along the creek bank?

I'm located in Central PA.
A good ratio in general is 2-4 hens per drake, but some are different. A good number is 1:3. Are you wanting the ducks to breed? 2 drakes shouldn't fight or harm the hens, and can easily cover them all. You might be able to have 3, but like I said it all depends on the birds. You could look along your creek bank more, especially in any leaves or loose dirt. Look in any areas they hang around a lot. It's not guaranteed you'll find any, unless you lock them in a run all day. They may have also stopped laying, since the days are shorter.

Personally I wouldn't go below 4:1 girls to drakes
I would set up some sort of lighting and give them a static 'daytime' that's around 10 hours if you want to get more consistent laying

My ducks do all of their laying before 7:30 am, when they get let out of their coop. So if they're enclosed at night, then they should do their laying there. Do they have a nesting box?

My ducks do all of their laying before 7:30 am, when they get let out of their coop. So if they're enclosed at night, then they should do their laying there. Do they have a nesting box?
there's nesting boxes in the coop but they don't go in there . . should note that I have a mixed flock as well, couple turkeys and a couple chickens

I'm not convinced they're laying at all right now . . I've walked the creek banks and checked all the leave piles and what not and have not found any . . they stay down at the creek overnight now too and come up in the morning when I throw them a little feed

Back
Top Bottom