Khaki campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Citychick, May 29, 2007.

1. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Hi all, I bought two khakis a male and a female and they are all feathered out and doing great. My question is I put them in the coop with my chickens and no matter what container I put the water in they just make a HUGE mess. I am always out of water. And the chickens are not as fond of the mud as the ducks. I worry that this is going to cause a big fly problem or disease. So my question is do I find a new home for the ducks or is there a way to minimize the mess. I would let them out in the yard all day but the dogs would get them.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    do you have a hanging waterer?? I have a hanging waterer and the ducks dont make any mess at all. I also have a huge 40 gallon Water Trough that they use to drink from as well as play in. Ducks do love water. My birds all free range so no one is bothered by the ducks.

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

What I have found to work well is a baby pool....My chickens already know where their water comes from so they aren't drawn to it and the ducks love the pool. They can get in and make a big spash and its ok because they don't have to share it with anyone.... As long as you have the pool off to the side so their is plenty of room for roaming about...they should be fine. I got one for around 8$ at walmart and they just love it!!!!...I had to make special steps for mine though because my poor little Bo has bowed legs and needed special Bo steps...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by