Kid goat incubators...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Arklady, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I had a gal tell me about goat incubators made from blue barrels... Does anyone here have the plans for one??

Just wondering cause sweaters for the little ones seem so.. well not enough.

Arklady

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I never heard of a kid incubator. Are you sure she wasn't talking about the warming boxes that are used for newborns?

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I don't know about those, but I could suggest an infrared light. (heat lamp) We have two in our barn - one in the actually kidding stall and one in the main area. The babies spend a good deal of time under them warming up before heading out to romp some more. You can even purchase larger ones made just like long fluorecents to heat a larger area - those are miracles for horse stalls.

Are you bottle feeding?

4. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    No, I was looking for someone else who had a kid whos wife put a sweater on it. I know I have seen these somewhere but I just can't remember where.

hmmm...

Arklady

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    sounds like somithing, one person made up for there goats,i dont think they sell them but i thing it would be easy to make one [​IMG]

6. Harmon_7

Harmon_7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    I have seen them before too! On the internet some where. The cut a small door in the front then put the heat lamp in there somehow. might have cut a hole big enough to sting the chain and cord through it. ??? Hope I was some help!

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
  8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have made sweaters out of sweatshirt sleeves and they work really well and warming boxes are easy to make. Just use the open end and cut a hole to place the heat lamp on top with the lamp in the hole and it keeps the babies warm and toasty...I peospnally just use a heat lamp out i my kidding pen. I have made 1 out of a 35 gallow water tank and it has the hole in the top If I dont want to use it for heat then I just put the screw on top back on and the older kids sleep in it as its draft free. All I basically had to do is cut the end out of the water tank. I did this as I did use the water tank and figured it would work to keep my bottle babies toasty. It worked!

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    a put rain proof jackets on my babies, i got the jackets from walmart for like a couple of $

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by