Kidney infection

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
I"m thinking my hen may have a kidney infection of some sorts. She's been in the house in a cage getting over a gut issue. I clean her cage everyday and when she does her first poop it smells like pee real bad. She had lost weight from her gut issue and i've been working on getting her weight back up.

Does this sound like a kidney infection or UTI? If so what do I give her. We have no certified avien vet so I have to do these things on my own.

What was the gut issue? She made need some multi vitamin such as Poly-vi-sol without Iron and some ACV like Braggs Organic.

Jim

Dr. Peter Brown was the avian vet that I was incontact with about her other issue. He said it must be a gut issue so he said to put her on corrid for 5 days then probiotics and vita pro b for 5 days after the corrid. But since I haven't been able to contact him again because he's gotten a new website and I can't email him and I can't get thru on the phone.

Her original issue was she wasn't eating, she was very weak and had very stinky poops. So after what he told me to do her poops became normal and smelled like chicken poop. I've been working on fattening her back up. She is eating now but still not enough to make me happy. She is still very thin but now her poops smell like pee. I have her inside away from the other chickens and so I can keep an eye on her and monitor her food intake. I know chickens can get kidney infections and UTI but i've read by the time it's discovered they die. I don't want to loose her. I've been working on her since August and she is still too thin. I can feel her pelvic bones and breast bone, I check everyday to feel if she's put on anything. I've been giving her a mix in one feed cup and layer crumbles with scratch grains in another cup. The mix is brown rice, green peas, spinach, chopped boiled eggs with crushed egg shell,tuna and salmon. She eats 2 cans a day. And she eats 1/2 can of the chicken feed. These are tuna fish cans i'm talking about.

I have poly vi sol without iron and acv. I'm ready to try just about anything. Her poops aren't firm anymore like they where just after the treat ment Dr Brown had me do. It's not a normal poo. I wormed her when I first seen she was thin thinking it was worms doing it so i've already done that. I worm mine with Wazine and it does a good job for my birds.

hey sir my pet chick also have same problem plzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

there is a air ballon type thing uder his right wing and when we press it slightly the air gets out but after few mins it come back

plzzzz tell whats this and why ? and any cure ?

Quote: emvickery My suggestion is to stop the scratch grains and mix the ACV with her feed. The ACV should firm her stools and help to replace her flora in the gut. She seems to be having issues with digesting and absorbing the protein in her gut.

Quote: Kingash
You may be experiencing subcutaneous emphysema. This can be caused by injury, bacteria or caponizing. Deflate with a 18 gauge needle using the same technique used for lancing a blister. Do not poke straight into the chicken. Once the air is expressed then apply a bit of New Skin to seal the puncture or if you can do a purse stitch then that, but I prefer New Skin. Start a treatment with a broad spectrum oral antibiotic such as penicillin or ampicillin.

Quote:"Subcutaneous Emphysema: Hamilton & District
This term merely means, "gas under the skin". The gas is usually air, which has penetrated the subcutaneous tissues through a skin wound, or as the result of damage to part of the respiratory system. Some writers have described how air has been pumped into the surrounding tissues by the tongue and other muscular movements associated with swallowing, from a wound caused by something sharp in the pharynx or the throat. The accumulated air then diffuses down the neck and produces a puffiness of the overlying skin.

The mechanism in all cases is similar. Puncture wounds and cuts involving layers of skin and muscles do not stay immediately opposite one another, since the layers slide over each other during movement. If the surface layer is concave and its elasticity allows it to lift, then air is drawn in. The air is then trapped and is pushed on the easiest course, which is along the planes between skin and muscle or between layers of muscles. After moving, the air becomes halted within the fat and connective tissues in the form of bubbles, which crackle when the region is handled. Common sites of emphysema are the groin, the 'armpits', neck, entrance to the chest and over the shoulders. This type of emphysema is harmless but can be alarming to the owner, especially when the bird blows up into a grotesque shape within a few hours.

Once access of air is stopped, however, the gases are slowly absorbed. Part of the air can usually be removed with a hypodermic needle and syringe, but the tissues will refill if the point of entry is not closed. A purse-string suture can be used to close a small external wound, but throat wounds or air sac ruptures without skin wounds, are impossible to repair surgically. Time will slowly heal most of them, but there is always the danger that air, which carries dust and has not been filtered through the respiratory tract will result in inflammation and the formation of exudates which may block the air sacs and lead to pneumonia. Fungi, such as Aspergillus, and numerous bacteria flourish in these warm, moist and aerated wounds.

There is no effective cure for aspergillosis, but for bacterial infections the usual treatments for wounds should be used. Creams and ointments are useful for such lesions as they seal the wound; further protection can be applied by using a plastic skin in a solvent form as an aerosol sprayed on the affected parts. Avian vets today have a few medications they can try, but there is no positive cure.

Emphysema can also arise when certain gas-forming anaerobic bacteria related to those which cause the smell in gangrene, multiply in a deep and therefore airless wound. Such changes are preceded by obvious illness and loss of function of the part concerned, it showing reddish, green or black discoloration associated with coldness and insensitivity. This usually follows upon a very severe and probably painful inflammation. By the time the puffiness is apparent the bird is usually dying or dead. Although injections of penicillin, ampicillin or certain other broad-spectrum antibiotics are likely to be the most effective forms of treatment; they are usually administered too late for any hope of recovery. "

Jim

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll start her on it in the morning. She's gone to bed for the night. I take it that I should take her off the antibiotic I put her on. I read somewhere not to do both antibiotic and acv

I"m thinking my hen may have a kidney infection of some sorts. She's been in the house in a cage getting over a gut issue. I clean her cage everyday and when she does her first poop it smells like pee real bad. She had lost weight from her gut issue and i've been working on getting her weight back up.

Does this sound like a kidney infection or UTI? If so what do I give her. We have no certified avien vet so I have to do these things on my own.
Does her poo smell like ammonia?

Here are some Avian vets in TN:

University of Tennessee
College of Veterinary Medicine
Exotic Pet Clinic
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37916
(865) 974-5667 Dr Lutz
West Mead Vet Clinic
990 Davidson Drive
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-1152 Dr. Tonnie Ray
432 Bell Road
Nashville, TN 37217
(615) 838-3139
[email protected]
www.avianandexoticscenter.com

Don't know if they are near your, but maybe they could help?

Here are some Avian vets in TN:

University of Tennessee
College of Veterinary Medicine
Exotic Pet Clinic
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37916
(865) 974-5667 Dr Lutz
West Mead Vet Clinic
990 Davidson Drive
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-1152 Dr. Tonnie Ray
432 Bell Road
Nashville, TN 37217
(615) 838-3139
[email protected]
www.avianandexoticscenter.com

Don't know if they are near your, but maybe they could help?
Im in west tennessee. There is one in Memphis. It may be closer but still over 2 hours away. Her poo smells more like old pee diaper. Not like normal chicken poo.

Back
Top Bottom