Kidney/Renal Support?

KaraJo5

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
Hello out there. I recently had a chicken pass suddenly. We were displaced from Hurricane Ida and it was an obvious stressor on our girls. In a 2 week time we did not provide adequate grit for them and my Fawn died of an intestinal impaction that showed up as pendulous crop. She was trembling and not responding to treatment. We got a necropsy to make sure there isn't something spreading through the flock as this didn't seem like a typical sour crop. The initial report came through to tell us her cause of death, but it also revealed that she had pale kidneys. I've been searching the web on kidney/renal supplements for poultry and keep coming up short. I want to make sure my girls have the support they need. Does anyone know anything about this? Something I can buy or make or provide for them? Thanks for any help you can provide. Appreciate this community so much.

I'm so sorry. If she had an intestinal impaction, especially if the impaction is in the crop or gizzard, I believe that would hinder adequate water and other nutritional needs which will cause kidney/renal and other systems to eventually fail/shut down. If I was in your shoes, I would make sure the remaining flock has plenty of fresh clean plain water, they're fed a complete balanced feed, and have grit and an extra calcium source available all throughout the day. I imagine you're already doing this just by reading your post. I'll tag some of my favorite folks that have a lot of knowledge and experience to correct me if I'm wrong
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

I'm so sorry. If she had an intestinal impaction, especially if the impaction is in the crop or gizzard, I believe that would hinder adequate water and other nutritional needs which will cause kidney/renal and other systems to eventually fail/shut down. If I was in your shoes, I would make sure the remaining flock has plenty of fresh clean plain water, they're fed a complete balanced feed, and have grit and an extra calcium source available all throughout the day. I imagine you're already doing this just by reading your post. I'll tag some of my favorite folks that have a lot of knowledge and experience to correct me if I'm wrong
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom