Crop Bra suggestions/improvements for a very large hen

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Hello all,
Our girl Lydia is working toward getting over an impaction and bacterial infection. Her crop is quite pendulous, which may get better with a bra or not.

At the moment, we're having to massage and help empty it every hour or so.
And while I've made a few bra prototypes - I'm struggling to make one that works. I'm in New Zealand, which doesn't look like I can buy one or if I order overseas, anytime soon.

Lydia's a 8.5-10lb blue orpington. She's a big girl, with a huge chest, so to speak.
I've tried stretchy and non stretchy cotton with the elastic/ties around the neck and around her middle - it provided /no/ support. I based it on a design I saw on Etsy that is shorter around the neck, and wider at the bottom.
I'm going to try the one suggestion found backyard chickens forum using denim and cotton straps tomorrow. I'm worried about using denim long term, as we're coming into summer and she already overheats.

I'm good at sewing but terrible with coming up with patterns.
Most bras I've seen are square and made to fit small hens.
I'm wondering if I need a wide rectangle or triangle shape; if I need elastic anywhere for expansion; or if I need darts to make it fit her shape.
Are the bras meant to push the crop up and in? Or just put gentle pressure on the crop?

20231126_154401.jpg
IMG_20231126_154513.jpg

IMG_20231126_173251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom