Kiki's found horse eggs—experiment Round 2

Before I became a nurse, I was an EMT-Paramedic for 14 years. Then finished nursing school and moved into the ED. Some of the things we laughed and joked about were pretty dark but sometimes it’s the only way to keep your sanity.
Somewhat like police /detective humor

Radiation for five more weeks then I get to recover from that.... but technically I will be done...

(as I stuff the rest of my glazed doughnut down)

deb
Praying for a speedy recovery in the process.

If I try to move Miss Badness the broody back into her broody pen (as it will be safer for the chicks) would it be best to move her right after she hatches her eggs or 1 or 2 days after the first chick hatches. I am afraid to move her now as she is so close to hatch date and when I first moved her into the broody box and first placed eggs under her, at daybreak she refused to sit on them anymore, insisting on brooding back in the coop nest she had been sitting in for a few days on fake eggs. She has stayed on the coop nest with her real eggs with no problem so far, But I am afraid the chicks won't be safe in the coop. And she will be unhappy if I pen her in a small space. Unhappy means yelling her head off and running around the small space instead of caring for chicks.
Leave them with the hen for a couple of days...unless she tries calling them back into the nest to roost and they get separated from her. Then you will have to cage her and the chicks thru the bonding period...a couple of days. If you have a cage, set it in the regular coop or better in the brood coop. If she stays on the coop floor with her chicks, she will protect them from the other birds. I keep screen panels made from frames and wire screen to wire together into a temporary floor cage. This gives a little protection from predators but mainly keeps the little flock together. Once bonded, you can remove the cage.

OMG Y'all, just went out to check on broodies, Miss Badness, I lifted and saw her 6 intact eggs, my good broody has not moved much and when I attempted to lift her she was pecking me really hard. So Was making sure she had what she needed and heard a peep! Then out popped a French Blue copper marans chick to see what was going on! Don't know if there are more yet, but don't want to disturb her too much right now!!! :yesss: :wee :celebrate :love :caf[/QUOTE

Yea!

Somewhat like police /detective humor

Praying for a speedy recovery in the process.

Leave them with the hen for a couple of days...unless she tries calling them back into the nest to roost and they get separated from her. Then you will have to cage her and the chicks thru the bonding period...a couple of days. If you have a cage, set it in the regular coop or better in the brood coop. If she stays on the coop floor with her chicks, she will protect them from the other birds. I keep screen panels made from frames and wire screen to wire together into a temporary floor cage. This gives a little protection from predators but mainly keeps the little flock together. Once bonded, you can remove the cage.
This is the good broody who took to her broody apartment from day one without a problem, so these little ones are safe. The other broody's eggs have not started to hatch, yet. But thank you 'cause this should be a problem in a few days.

OMG Y'all, just went out to check on broodies, Miss Badness, I lifted and saw her 6 intact eggs, my good broody has not moved much and when I attempted to lift her she was pecking me really hard. So Was making sure she had what she needed and heard a peep! Then out popped a French Blue copper marans chick to see what was going on! Don't know if there are more yet, but don't want to disturb her too much right now!!! :yesss: :wee :celebrate :love :caf
:woot

Is it too soon to start pestering for pictures?

:woot

Is it too soon to start pestering for pictures?
Will see what I can get tomorrow, hen is in very protective mode right now, and this is an early hatch, wasn't expected until Wed. so think they are just starting to hatch, first one still had egg tooth and may have heard a peep under hen while first was out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom