Kill them with kindness?

When I first got chickens and was learning and reading what I could about them most recommendations for dealing with an aggressive rooster was to dominate them and never let them win.

I worked at this and tried hard, but nothing ever seem to change the temperament of the rooster. It always seemed they were either or nice or born aggressive. Mean ones stayed mean and nice ones stayed nice.

I have an aggressive one right now. He’s just short of a year old and he attacks me anytime I go in to tend to the hens. I’ve been letting him have it for attacking me but like all those times before it’s not getting any better. Obviously I need to do something different.

It might be too late now because he sees me as a threat but has anyone ever won over an aggressive rooster by arriving at the coop with treats? I wonder if he could learn to see me as something positive instead of a threatIf every time he saw me I was tossing berries and breadcrumbs. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Cut his head off and find a new one. That’s the easiest way. I will never recommend a person try and “break” a mean rooster. They might not attack you anymore but who knows what they may do to a small child? It’s not worth it. Find a gentle one.

I think everyone should have a rooster... Not everybody likes them though... I personally have 17 and love them all and not one is aggressive... They are great protection for hens and I’d rather a rooster stall a predator while his hens go hide than my hens die trying to go hide...

Every rooster is as much of an individual as people are and as our pets are. I've experienced very dangerous roosters. As a teenager, we had a rooster that would run a person down if they got within 4 to 5 car lengths away.

I have a large number of roosters. Some roosters are lovely and regal from the day they hatched. They command the hens and other roosters without needing to fight for supremacy. Some prefer to avoid confrontation with other roosters and live in the background. Some are just there, preferring to not get close but are neither scared or aggressive. A few roosters have been aggressive as chicks with other birds, but have been wonderful as adults. Some are aggressive with other roosters and continue to be aggressive. And some roosters are aggressive as young chicks and transition to being human aggressive.

Out of all the roosters I've had and have in the last 3 years, only 2 roosters have been human aggressive. I worked with the LF rooster; it was livable but he never stopped watching and sizing up. I have neither of them now. From my experience, I don't think giving treats or killing with kindness will win over a rooster that is aggressive. I don't think they'd stop to acknowledge you have treats; they are in attack mode.

There are enough even-tempered roosters that one doesn't need to put up with an aggressive bird.

I also agree that an aggressive rooster should not be used for breeding. Temperament is very important when selecting for breeding stock. I put my hands on all my birds for evaluating carcass quality etc; some roosters prefer not to be held while others are downright huggable. Below are just a few of the ones in this building. The only hazard walking in there is getting dusty. A good rooster will protect his flock without being a danger to you.

20180125_114457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom