Killer chicken(s) - should I worry?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bees-n-Chickens-KY, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Bees-n-Chickens-KY

Bees-n-Chickens-KY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I'm so incredibly sad and a little scared ... I had a 4 week old Black Crested Polish pullet get into the other side of the coop with the 4 month old EEs pullets. They KILLED her.
    I didn't witness any of it so I don't know if it was one of the Easter Eggers or all of them??? I'm still keeping my remaining 2 'babies' separated but I'm worried now that the EEs have killed once, that they will "want" to kill the others?

Any advice on this? Just keep them separated as long as possible?

2. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    I'm sorry for your loss! Integrating chickens can be difficult when planned, much less by accident! To answer your questions, most likely all of them, birds are very...tribal I guess you can call it? I'm sure there is a professional word that I'm missing. They have their flock, and all others are evil nazi chickens bent on destruction of life, liberty and the chicken way.
    Not all flocks are like this and some breeds can be particularly bad about it. Polish aren't as far as I know. They tend to have a reputation for being a little....Well, my partner calls it zen. I love the buggers, we have a gray top hatter, but she's just not all that bright! Sweet bird, which is also their reputation.
    I don't' think they'll go cannibal on you now that they've had a taste. That's pretty rare despite chickens being little dinosaurs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Yes. Keep them separated until they are the same size, or 5 - 6 months old. Older chickens will kill chicks, yes.

I am sorry for your loss. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by