Killer hen

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
I recently hatched two ducklings. I introduced them to my four ducks and one of my hens started attacking them (or trying). I kept them safe. Usually my drakes are the ones to try to attack ducklings (I learned this when one of my hens was broody). Does anybody know why this one is being so mean? I have two hens and tow drakes not a great ratio, but that’s all I got. Both of my drakes are fine They’re actually scared of them and so is the other hen. She was broody once, but that was a while ago. Does that have anything to do with it?

help with the appreciated😊.

You introduced baby ducklings to adults that are not broody, or very recent mothers? Yeah, those don't play nice. They don't have a reason to

IMO you may have tried to introduce the ducklings to quickly. I not sure how old the ducklings are but sounds like they are not old or big enough to join an established group. Ducks won't automatically accept ducklings. You will need to set up a "look but don't touch" system so that your four ducks can see the ducklings but not be able to reach them. A large dog crate works well for this. The ducklings will need a food and water source inside the crate. After you are able to see less attempts to reach them, you could let ducklings out for short periods of time under supervision. I would still confine the ducklings in the crate at night for several months until they are much larger.

Back
Top Bottom