Killer polygamist husband

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobthebunny, Jan 30, 2016.

1. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    Hi So i have 5 hens and there polygamist husband. In the last 6 months 2 baby roosters were hatched and they are now at breeding age and assault my hens non stop, my hens are now so scared to go into the coop they attempt to roost outside or in the barn i have to carry them in the coop and put them up on the roost. So being stupid earlier i brought food in the coop and the hens all flew down. The young roosters immediately began assaulting them. I kicked the roosters outside for a minute so the hens could calm down and saltine their polygamist husband spurred me twice when i tried to pick up his girls. Sorry i didn't just cut to the chase in this but is it possible to cut roosters spurs or trim them or put something on them so he cant spur me?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yes, you can trim the spurs. Search for it on this site. (Sorry I can't cut and paste on my phone.)

You need to trim more than spurs though. You need to do something with your 2 extra males. Three males and only 5 hens is a bad situation for those poor girls.

3. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Saltine?????
    I'm so confused.

1 person likes this.
  4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Get rid of both of them yesterday. Beaks and claws will do more damage.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens aren't monogamous, roosters will mate with whomever they can, either by asking or taking, it's unfair to your hens to keep so many roosters, with 5 hens there should be one or no roosters, get rid of some of all.

4 people like this.
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    This.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Agree. Even with trimmed spurs these roosters are still way to much for so few hens. If the older rooster treats the hens well let him stay on, get those other hooligans out of there so your poor hens can have some peace.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I also agree with oldhen.

WAY to many roosters.

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    X4

...plus the cockerels are at the age where they have no manners and beaucoup hormones raging.
    Also having two cockerels accelerates the hormone drive because of competition.
    Get rid of one or both cockerels.....and if keeping one you might want to separate him until he and the pullets mature a bit.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Even with replaced birds, this is likely to happen again based on account in first post. Stop kicking the birds as that is very consistent with a relationship that promotes aggression towards people. Get rid of old bird that attacks you. If younger guys do not attack or fear you then pick one as replacement and get rid of other. Then effort to not interact with remaining rooster in a manner he will consider above or below him in the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by