Killing predators

Hi everyone. We have a flock of 5 (was 6 but one was killed yesterday by a bobcat) hens in upstate NY. Before I got chickens, I was always against killing animals even if they caused damage. Now that I have chickens and just last night experienced the nightmare of losing one to a predator, my feelings are changing. My husband is for trapping and killing the bobcat. I am on the fence but leaning towards killing it because I am so disturbed about how it killed our beloved chicken and worried about it doing more in the future.

Just interested in reading the thoughts and opinions of others on this issue: killing predators of backyard flocks. Have you done it before? Chosen not to? Etc.

I live out here in the country so sometimes it’s necessary to kill critters, crows usually get the hint when you kill one, others can be very difficult to keep under control, my biggest problem is raccoons, seems like just about every living thing out here likes to eat eggs, chickens, or both, ha ha!
I have lots of time and money invested in my chickens so I am very protective of them.

Attachments

• 2DDBAB94-3E46-458D-B5F0-4CD7C5CFA0D9.jpeg
    2DDBAB94-3E46-458D-B5F0-4CD7C5CFA0D9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
I live out here in the country so sometimes it’s necessary to kill critters, crows usually get the hint when you kill one, others can be very difficult to keep under control, my biggest problem is raccoons, seems like just about every living thing out here likes to eat eggs, chickens, or both, ha ha!
I have lots of time and money invested in my chickens so I am very protective of them.
Same haha.

Thanks for the reply. What were the attempted attacks with?
This was our first attack and it ended in one casualty. Fortunately the others were OK. It was a bobcat and it happened ten feet from our front door :(
If a bobcat was 10 feet from your door, you have a problem. Check with your department of natural resources, they might have to come out, trap, and relocate it. It's getting too comfortable around you.

We had a coyote bold enough early this morning to bolt right by the house and snatch broody chicks. 3 runs, apparently 3 chicks. Thankfully they didn't get mama (I'd rather lose chicks than mama, hands down).
I'm sorry for your loss.Even chicks are a loss but at least the momma can raise you some more . I don't have a rooster so I can't raise any.The only way I could buy any is to buy more than I need or have room for.I don't really like raising chicks myself.I prefer a broody!

I'm sorry for your loss.Even chicks are a loss but at least the momma can raise you some more . I don't have a rooster so I can't raise any.The only way I could buy any is to buy more than I need or have room for.I don't really like raising chicks myself.I prefer a broody!
Your broody mamas must be better at it than mine were! A few years back, we had four broody BO hatch 8 chicks. It was really neat, especially the two who co-parented four chicks. Unfortunately, only three made it to adulthood; hawks got the rest. We'd never lost any to hawks before. They came from nowhere, would swoop down practically under our noses and snatch them from right next to the broody mamas before anybody could react. So now we buy day-olds from a hatchery and raise them ourselves. Hawks don't get them because we can protect them better than mama hen can until they are big enough to integrate with the older flock.

Your broody mamas must be better at it than mine were! A few years back, we had four broody BO hatch 8 chicks. It was really neat, especially the two who co-parented four chicks. Unfortunately, only three made it to adulthood; hawks got the rest. We'd never lost any to hawks before. They came from nowhere, would swoop down practically under our noses and snatch them from right next to the broody mamas before anybody could react. So now we buy day-olds from a hatchery and raise them ourselves. Hawks don't get them because we can protect them better than mama hen can until they are big enough to integrate with the older flock.
I don't have a rooster YET BUT have plans for one.Trying to wait until my flocks a little older,laying good and get the proper set up here. I'm considering getting a genetic Hackle rooster .Heres a photo of one...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 00-08-42 hredirect2 php (JPEG Image, 1000 × 750 pixels) — Scaled (99%).png
    Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 00-08-42 hredirect2 php (JPEG Image, 1000 × 750 pixels) — Scaled (99%).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom