kind of a bad smell in the bator

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
hi! i've heard of people sniffing eggs to see if they're bad. i just set about 38 eggs in the bator a couple days ago. now there is a very faint smell in the bator. but it's so faint, it could be in my mind...but at the same time, i've never smelled this smell in my bator before. so.....to sniff an egg, will you be able to tell which one is bad just by sniffing? i'm wondering if the smell will rub off on the other eggs and a few of them may smell bad even if they arnt simply cuz they were a neighbor of the bad egg? also, all but 4 of these eggs are dark brown and olive eggs...so candling isn't easy, especially in the early days. is it safe to leave them for a few days till the smell gets worse or what? i certainly don't want an exploding egg!

Last edited:
If it is a bad egg, the smell will definitely get worse.

Yes you will be able to tell which one is the culprit by smell, it also will not look quite right. A good candling will find it.

Good luck, and try to get it out of there ASAP.

well, i took the big egg out and sniffed it (along with some other eggs) and the big egg had a yucky smell, even had hubby sniff it (and he doesn't have the greatest sense of smell) and he could tell it smelled funny. so i put it in the disposal and turned the disposal on.
sickbyc.gif
problem solved, thanks to everyone !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom