Kind of want to keep

Roosterinthecity

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
Hatched some eggs. Someone wants to purchase them. I somewhat have taken a liking to this one though.

Trying to figure out who the mom is. The father is an Ayam Cemani.
Brahma, Easter Eggers, RIR, Ameraucana, Dominique.
Definitely not a Polish.

Also trying to see what gender.

Attachments

• IMG_6961.jpeg
    IMG_6961.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6977.jpeg
    IMG_6977.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6985.jpeg
    IMG_6985.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6988.jpeg
    IMG_6988.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20
Trying to figure out who the mom is. The father is an Ayam Cemani.
Brahma, Easter Eggers, RIR, Ameraucana, Dominique.
Definitely not a Polish.
Do you know what color egg it hatched from? That could rule out several of the hens pretty quickly.

The Brahma should not be the mother, because the chick does not have any feathers on the feet.

Regarding the other options:
That chick appears to have one copy of the Dominant White gene (turns black into white, but can miss a few spots.)

Since the father is Ayam Cemani (black all over), the Dominant White gene did not come from him. So look for a hen with Dominant White. She will probably have a white tail, and the rest of her may also be white or may have red/gold colors.

Dominiques are black with white barring, so they cannot have Dominant White.
Rhode Island Reds are red with black tails, so they cannot have Dominant White either. (But Red Sexlinks can be red with white tails, and are sometimes mistaken for Rhode Island Reds. If you have any hen that is red with a white tail, she has a good chance of being the mother.)

If you post photos of your Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas, (and RIR if they have white tails), we can probably rule out most of them, leaving you with one or a few options.

Eggs were small cream colored. I seriously thought it was one of my AC hens that laid it. The Ameraucanas and Ameraucanas Light Brahma mix are the only white hens.

So can’t be the EE per egg size and color.
The red sexlink lays huge cream to brown eggs.

RIR lays big eggs.

So I’m thinking amer/brahma mix due to color or one of the other Brahma mixes due to the smaller eggs the lay.

I guess I could care less, just really would like to see into the future and know if it’s a hen or roo. That will make a difference if I can keep. Just wish I didn’t get attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6989.jpeg
    IMG_6989.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6992.jpeg
    IMG_6992.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 12
Is the father purebred Ayam Cemani, or a mix? That makes a difference. If he is pure, the only hens I think could have produced such a chick with him are the two mostly white ones in the left pictures.

Eggs were small cream colored. I seriously thought it was one of my AC hens that laid it. The Ameraucanas and Ameraucanas Light Brahma mix are the only white hens.

So can’t be the EE per egg size and color.
I agree about ruling out any chickens that lay blue or green eggs.

The red sexlink lays huge cream to brown eggs.

RIR lays big eggs.

So I’m thinking amer/brahma mix due to color or one of the other Brahma mixes due to the smaller eggs the lay.

I guess I could care less, just really would like to see into the future and know if it’s a hen or roo. That will make a difference if I can keep. Just wish I didn’t get attached.
I don't see any way to tell male vs. female by any sex-linked genes, so you'll have to wait until it grows a bit more to know that.

As regards who is the mother: short answer, any or none of them.

Longer explanation of the genetic reasons I think this:
(If my logic has any flaws, hopefully someone else will notice them and figure out the right answer.)

There are several genes that cause white in chickens, but they work in different ways:
--Dominant White turns black into white, except that it sometimes misses a spot here and there. Chickens called "Paint" often have this gene, with selection for having it leave more black spots. This is the gene I think your chick has.

--Silver turns red/gold into white. This is what Light Brahmas have, and what the white-and-black chickens in your photos have. This gene has no effect on black, just on red/gold shades. So in a chick with the genes to be all black (inherited from the Ayam Cemani), having the Silver gene will make no difference to what color the chick actually is.

--recessive white removes all color from the feathers of the chicken. It tends not to leave any colored spots showing, so the black on the chick back is a good indication that your chick does not have this gene. Because this gene is recessive, a chick must inherit it from both parents in order to show the white. If your Ayam Cemani rooster and one Ayam Cemani hen were BOTH carrying the recessive white gene, then you could get a white chick from that pairing (but they are probably NOT carrying this gene, and anyway the chick has too much black.)

I was thinking the chick showed Dominant White, which would mean that none of those hens could be the mother, because none of them have Dominant White. Crossing any of them to the Ayam Cemani should give just black chicks, although the chicks might show a bit of other-color leakage as they grow.

But as I look at the photos again, maybe the chick does not have Dominant White after all, based on how much black is showing in the wing feathers.

But if the chick does not have Dominant White, then it is showing Silver with a pattern of black, and that means it cannot have the Extended Black gene that Ayam Cemanis are supposed to have (makes a chicken black all over, is dominant over any genes that would allow a pattern like that to be visible.). So to get that color chick, the rooster would have to be carrying a wrong gene. And if he is carrying the wrong gene, and the hens came from the same source, one of them might be carrying a wrong gene as well-- so the chick might actually be from an Ayam Cemani hen after all. Or it might come from any of those hens who could lay that color of egg, because probably any one of them could produce a chick of that color with a rooster who looks like Ayam Cemani but actually carries some genes that are wrong for his breed.

Are you sure there were no other roosters that could possibly be the father? (The dark skin color on the chick does make it likely that it has one or two Ayam Cemani parents, unless you've got a Silkie or an Ayam Cemani-mix that could be involved.)

No, no other rooster. He’s the only one I have currently in the past 7 months. I had a Lt Brahma before.
I was thinking it’s both AC’s parents. But if that was the case, I’d have a zombie and the chick doesn’t have those characteristics. This is quite the mystery. Out of 10 eggs, 7 were all black as AC’s should be and 3 were this whitish yellow with black spots. The other yellowish ones are small like the AC’s, but this particular one is twice their size (born in same date and a day ahead of others).
Guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens.

No, no other rooster. He’s the only one I have currently in the past 7 months. I had a Lt Brahma before.
I was thinking it’s both AC’s parents. But if that was the case, I’d have a zombie and the chick doesn’t have those characteristics. This is quite the mystery. Out of 10 eggs, 7 were all black as AC’s should be and 3 were this whitish yellow with black spots. The other yellowish ones are small like the AC’s, but this particular one is twice their size (born in same date and a day ahead of others).
Guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens.
If you got 3 out of 10 that were colored like this, it is pretty likely that you have other genes in your Ayam Cemani.

But since this one is definitely bigger, it might have a different mother (hybrid vigor leading to faster growth). I just can't tell which one she might be, since I don't see any obvious traits on the chick (I looked for feathered feet, muff/beard on the face, and comb type. I couldn't decide whether the comb is pea or single: a pea comb would mean a mother with a pea comb, while a single comb would not tell anything in particular.)

Back
Top Bottom