Kind of Where am I? But not physically,,,

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Sep 6, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I packed away the incubator today, the rescued duck eggs hatched, the rescued quail hatched, the rest of Duchess's huge nest hatched and I need a break.
    Where am I? I'm at the point I have to tell myself it's time to stop, it's time to cut back, it's time to put into motion a plan to make a big change in my life and it's time to start.
    I have too many birds, I know this, I love ever single one of them, even PoppadoodleStupid,,, but I know I can't keep them all, I just can't afford to do it.
    I don't have that far to go to get things really under control and on track, and $20 a week in scratch is $80 - $100 a month depending on how many weeks we run into. I don't need this many birds, but how do you choose who goes?
    I have about 20 babies alone that need to go, and go quickly. I have no fewer than 15 adults that need to go. So many are little roos, and I'm so partial to my roos, but it's not fair to them when there aren't enough hens to go around.

The original idea was some hens to lay eggs, a roo to keep a few little ones coming just in case. Then the group was left on my doorstep and that was the start. Then we had left overs in the class hatch, and hens started hiding nests because they free-range, and suddenly there are babies everywhere. Then the incubator, it's worse than a sucubus! It calls me, it beckons to me,, so I put it away and on that table I put my paints and canvases that have been packed away for years. I'm going to see if I can paint again, I used to love it, I need it back in my life now I think, along with my writing. I'm not deserting my chickens and ducks, I love them too much.

If anyone is near enough to me and wants some interesting mutts stop by, I can't tell you what they are, but they are hand-raised and loving little things. The only thing I worry about is them going to good homes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I feel for you WOW. I have way too many birds as well, but I'm so attached to them! I hate to take any young roos to the sale, many of mine are game or game mixes, and there are too many fighters in my area. But I know I can't keep them.

My plan is to take all the babies that I don't want/can't use for my breeders, and make tractors to put my different breeds in. Then of the ones left over, the ones I absolutely can't part with will remain free rangers. But I'm sure I'll still have too many!

I hope you can find loving homes for your babies, I know it's hard to let them go! [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thanks. Since I'm considering a move next Summer I really have to cut way back on a lot of things and save money. I have to take into consideration where I may end up and can I take the birds or even my dogs and cats with me? It would be easier for me to leave the birds than my dogs and cats to be truthfull, but I also know that my "antique" beagle Sir Elliot would never make a move at this stage in his life. I'm just so confused and unsure right now, if I was a drinker I'd be drunk.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Does a highschool near you have an FFA program? They may have some interest there, call the local 4h program too. I'm just a smidge too far to road trip on out.

Maybe compromise and paint chickens and ducks?

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll take Nugget and Blue!! Wait, I'm not close enough. Wher are you thinkiing about moving to?

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL, I'm looking at all kinds of places. I've gotten such good offers in AK, SD, ND, WA, SC, GA, TX, LA, AZ, and so many more places it's hard to say.
    The groups like FFA and 4H all want pure breds, not mutts and although some of mine are pure, I don't know what they are. They are pets though, so it's harder. The babies it's easier because although they are cute they don't have names! I do have one little one that looks exactly like Woo though, a little bantam turken barred cutie pie. And one has a cross beak but eats and drinks just fine so far,,
    Guess we'll see what happens.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's good to plan in advance, gives you a chance to check things out beforehand. Good luck deciding & if I can assist...

Imp/Russ

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you Russ!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Do you have an BR or BO roos???? If so add CA to your list.

10. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I did the same thing this spring and I am about to do it again. I sold all my calls, all my buff geese, and all my runners.

Unfortunately I had 3 calls hatch immediately afterwards and they are a trio... [​IMG] So now here they are, and then my dewlap hatched out a gaggle full, so I'm stuck thinning everyone down before winter. I am only keeping 4 geese, but I am keeping the trio of calls, a trio of saxonies, all the mandarins, and I just ordered 2 more pair of wood ducks. Plus the chickens, though I might thin them out as well. I have 5 roosters and I really only need 2.

I hear ya, feed is expensive and I am looking forward to a smaller bill over the winter.

Though I have dewlaps coming from Holderread's in the spring...so we'll see how long it lasts!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by