Kinda Broody Hen?

Bostonbea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
Greensboro, NC
I have a Mille Fleur Bantam that is broody for a day or two, but will then hop off the nest and go about her business for a week or more and then go broody again. Since this is the 3rd time she's done this in the past 2 months, I've been thinking about giving her some chicks.

My questions is, will that work if she's not committed to her broodiness? Most of the threads and friends I've talked to say their hens will stay on the nest for weeks at a time. I could raise the chicks myself as I've done many times in the past, but I'm feeling lazy.
tongue.png

Thanks all!

One of my blue jersey giants has been doing this too. She was on the eggs for a full 24 and puffed out and growled at me and then the next two days it got cooler again weather wise and she stopped. Yesterday it warmed up a little and she was acting broody again but I want her to stay on them and hatch them. I'm worried she will quit half way through and the chicks will die
1f614.png

Last edited:
That would make me nervous too! This is my first experience with any broody behaviour. I wouldnty mind letting her be a momma, but i dont know her commitment level to the idea.

Back
Top Bottom