Kindergarten Class Chick Experiment gone wrong!

Spitzboyz

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
A dis-agree on an opinion or rather experiment.

My daughter's cousin learned about incubating chicks and science in her Kindergarten class this year, located in Cedar Springs, MI. I thought that this was an interesting thing and that it might be very good for the children and maybe even teach them something about animal responsibility including birth and the appreciation all of animals. I am sure that many of these lessons were passed onto the children.

What surprised myself and angered my own love of animals was the fact that after the incubation and birth of the chicks at about 6 days the teacher decided to give away all of the chicks to classmates.

Now you may be thinking that this was no big deal as the chicks in fact do need a home if the teacher is not willing to be responsible for the hatch herself. What was a big deal was that these potential new chick owners were not screened or educated on the care of the chicks needed to sustain them. They were given a small cardboard box and sent home on the bus or picked up by many un-specting parents much like my daughter's cousin. The chicks then most likely ended up in urban or homes where they may not get the care they need as in the case of my daughter's cousin's home.

The entire story from my daughter's cousin, her mother and her grandmother had bothered my daughter. She came home in tears and was very convincing that we encourage her cousin and her parents to release the chick to us or someone who could care for it properly. My daughter is 11 and her cousin is only 5 years old.

The story of my daughter's cousin's chick:

The chick traveled home on the bus with the child. It was, according to the parents, in a cardboard box for hours before it came home officially. By then it had been handled by almost everyone on the bus, according to the child, and picked up, dropped by the child herself. The chick then according to the mother's direction was left outside because it was livestock and not welcome into the home overnight for 2 days. We were told that the mother said "Oh that thing will be just fine." After these two days, during Memorial weekend, the chick went camping for 4 days spending time outside of the family's traveling RV before returning home to it's "outside the garage" "brooder" cardboard box.

The chick, according to my daughter, is now being fed a diet of Parakeet food. The chick was not provided food or much water and a brooding light during the entire "trip". The chick is now housed inside a bigger cardboard box again outside the garage. We and my daughter have pleaded with the family. The mother claims they can take better care of it than us.

But alas, my daughter invited her cousin over to the house to view our chickens and their coop and explain why they need certain care. The cousin was nicely taken over by her Grandmother whom also encourages our "idea" for her granddaughter's chick. My daughter and I offered to take her cousins chick off her hands and let us raise it with loving care, the promise that she could visit it anytime and that we'd keep her little chick safe. We have yet to hear from the family.

Our offer was of-course made today and hopefully it will just take time. I am ashamed of the teacher whom didn't screen or seem to care where and what happened to these chicks she incubated after she gave them away to little children with no instructions on care and to the surprise of many parents.

I could be wrong in my view of these events but I just had to share my opinion and remorse for the care and handling of these chicks. I understand the necessity to teach our children animal welfare and husbandry but do not agree with how it has taken course in this classroom. It to me is like teaching the lesson but not following thru on what you teach.

Comments and opinions? Am I wrong or right to think this way? Am I too concerned or not concerned enough?

I am in no way picking a fight with our wonderful educators in this country. I am just a concerned citizen, parent and chick lover.

Thank you all.

I think you are spot on. The teacher was very irresponsible in several ways...not teaching them how to care for these animals, sending them home in such a careless manner and foisting them off on unsuspecting parents, to name three. Someone needs to speak to her and the principal. I support classroom experiments like this but there HAS to be follow-through. The lesson didn't end at hatch.

I agree. As I wrote this I thought about how I could constructively attempt to change the school's and teacher's mind about this. Maybe a nice letter displaying this post and it's reactions and some background on who I am and what I feel is right? Don't know as of yet whether I should or not.

I would think they would have some plan for these chicks after the hatch! I would definitely say something to the school. They should not do this again without having someone to take in the chicks after. Ugh

I am appalled and disgusted!

I work at a Primary School as a teaching assistant. I am also the sole adult carer to our 14 adult chickens and recently hatched 14 chicks....with another six eggs in the incubator.

Now these eggs were all hatched at school, with lessons being given along the way about 'the great circle of life', about birth and death. They learnt all about the amazing process of 'goop' to chick in 21 days, have handled the chicks under my supervision and now care for them under my supervision HOWEVER these are MY birds. I have taken personal responsibility for them, I made the decision over how many and of what breed and colour to hatch and now, when I have selected the hens (and one cockerel) that I wish to keep to expand our flock, I will take responsibility for re-homing the surplus. This will involve screening of potential owners and in-depth discussion on their care, handling sessions and husbandry sessions (showing how to wing clip, toenail clip, health check, bug check, worm, de-louse etc) and then and ONLY then, if I am confident that these people know what they are doing, will they go to new homes.

We have advertised potential availablity and the advert states CATEGORICALLY that a vetting process will take place before any chickens are homed, that cockerels will not go to anything but rural homes, that pullets will go in no less than pairs and that a home visit will be essential BEFORE the birds are taken. It has been made quite clear that anyone not willing to go through the process as I see fit, need not apply.

Now I understand that if anything, I am being a little OVER zealous about this but I am obsessed with my babies and absolutely make no apologies for being equally obsessed over their future.

I cannot believe a teacher of all people would be so utterly irresponsible as this woman you speak of....what sort of lesson is THAT for the children????

Back
Top Bottom