Kitsap County, Washinton

Thanks for posting this! I am having trouble with my new neighbors right now. I live in Kingston. I have been here on my farm for 6 years. The property was a horse farm and other livestock farm since 1972, when the land next door was just a plot. Several years ago, someone decided to build a house-without a permit and it was deemed not livable and unsafe by the county. So they rented, and did not make the mortgage payments. two years ago, it went on a foreclosure and my new neighbors bought it under a short sales purchase. They have been in there for less than 6 months and have complained about every single thing.

The two days ago, my sow was in her last 3 days of heat. Naturally, the boar was trying to "get her" and she makes that awful noise that I cannot control. She comes to me and said, "I really don't like that noise and those pigs are awful!" I asked what she wanted me to do about their mating rituals? She replies, I am going to call animal control and she proceeds to hand me the Kitsap County Codes. We are in compliance in every way, except the location of the housing of our pigs and cows. The buildings and pastures were already here when we bought the place. AND from the looks of them all, they been here from the beginning. We have had to replace many poles and we put a new roof on to keep our animals dry...

Last year, we bought the 5 acres next door to us, in hopes to widen our pature, but we all know how much time that takes, especially when you have to deal with drying up wetlands and cutting down trees to do it. So we have 10 acres now. We have 4 adult cows and a two week old calf, 3 meat pigs, 3 Juliana/Kunekune mini pigs, 19 chickens, 22( 6 different breeds) exotic Pheasants, 8 ducks, two Toulouse Geese, and two dogs, and LOTS of wild birds that are much louder than our birds.

Is there somewhere I can go to see if there is a grandfathered in rule/ordinance? I do not want any trouble and we certainly want to be sure to be in compliance but we don't have a lot of money to be able to move all the structures and such. And every time I see them, they bring something else up. This is my land and I really hate living under all the scrutiny of my new city-wannabe living in the country-neighbors.

Our HOA changed the rules last year so we can have chickens. We have a Bremerton address, but basically live in Silverdale. Since we live in an HOA with renters in immediate contact with our property, they dont' care about our hens. I think I recall our limit at like 6-8. We have 8. Our neighbors have young kids like us, and love the opportunity to teach there kids about chickens : )

I have not looked into the "location" restrictions of our coop though. Everyone loves to look at it....

Thanks for posting this! I am having trouble with my new neighbors right now. I live in Kingston. I have been here on my farm for 6 years. The property was a horse farm and other livestock farm since 1972, when the land next door was just a plot. Several years ago, someone decided to build a house-without a permit and it was deemed not livable and unsafe by the county. So they rented, and did not make the mortgage payments. two years ago, it went on a foreclosure and my new neighbors bought it under a short sales purchase. They have been in there for less than 6 months and have complained about every single thing.

That is just sad to hear. Kingston is the country...

Last edited:
Hello,

I was hoping you could translate the code for me as after talking to several people it seems everyone has their own interpretation according to their needs. So can you have all of the animals listed (shall not exceed one large livestock, three small livestock, five ratites, six small animals,or twelve poultry") or is it, one large livestock or 3 small livestock or five ratites or six small animals or twelve poultry. And I believe it is per acrer. I see it as one or the other. You can't have all the animals on one acre. EX. If you want one large livestock then you can't have the rest. Others say if you have 5 acres you can have as many animals as you want. So whats the bottom line. Code also says you can't have more than 5 dogs without having a commercial licence.

Thanks

"So, Peggy went to find the codes. When the inspector came by, not only was she ready for him, but he was impressed at her coop, knowledge and whatnot.

If The Jerks wanna bark, here's what Peggy found, and I'm sharing it with you all so you know.

"15. The number of animals on a particular property shall not exceed one large livestock, three small livestock, five ratites, six small animals, or twelve poultry"

Also,

"No feeding area or structure or building used to house, confine, or feed livestock, small animals, ratites, or poultry shall be located closer than one hundred feet to any residence on adjacent property located within rural wooded, rural protection, rural residential zones, or within two hundred feet of any residence on adjacent property within any other zone; provided, a pasture (greater than 20,000 square feet) shall not be considered a feeding area."

Back
Top Bottom