Kitten missing in the house

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have a kitten about 4 months old. She was a rescue. Her mother was owned by someone else who dumped her at the vet's while she was dying. The kittens were with momma. A friend rescued and hand raised the kittens. This kitten, Pixie, was the sickest of all the kittens, but she did seem to make a full recovery. One thing she has always done, which is typical, is try to nurse on whatever she can find. Lately, she's been spending the night with me, and spends a lot of the night purring loudly, snuggling, and sucking on my shirt. I know that purring can be a sign of distress as well as pleasure, but she has otherwise acted fine and has been a very active, seemingly normal kitten. We have two older cats who basically tolerate her but sometimes play with her. One of them plays a little rough, but she seems to deal with it OK.

Early this morning I booted her out of my bed because I was trying to sleep and she was purring loudly, sucking, and snuggling. I woke up an hour later to a weird scratching in the wall which I assumed was probably a mouse. However, we have not seen her since 5:00AM this morning. This is her very active time of day. We have searched everywhere, called, etc. She has missed two meals. We read on line that this has happened to other people. I wondered if anyone has a suggestion about how to find her besides what we've already thought of. I'm terrified that might have been her in the wall, but how the heck she would have gotten in there and why she wouldn't have been vocal is beyond me. We think it's likely she is either sick or injured and has gone into hiding, or is dead. It's Christmas eve, so this is horrible. Does anybody have any suggestions please?

Oh dear. Is there anyway for to get into the walls? Or the vents?
Could she have gotten outside? My cats occasionally hide in the washer/dryer or in boxsprings.

Oh dear. Is there anyway for to get into the walls? Or the vents?
Could she have gotten outside? My cats occasionally hide in the washer/dryer or in boxsprings.
She's always been very afraid of the outside, although she will go out, it's only for a few minutes and she does come right back. I can't figure out how she could have gotten inside the wall, or if she somehow did, she would be very vocal. Normally. Unless she got electrocuted or something. :hmm She has always been very curious and active. But she is small. She also has, in the past, disappeared for several hours and been deeply asleep, only to finally wake up and reappear. Kind of weird for a cat. She did this at the previous owners house and also with us once or twice. But she's never been gone this long, and she's never slept in the morning, which is normally her favorite playtime. Our bed doesn't have box springs, it's in a waterbed frame, so there's really no way she could get caught or hide in there, and no one has used the washer or dryer and they've been closed since she was seen last. The only thing I can think of is either shes slipped out when my husband opened the door to let one of the others in or out, or she is sick, dead, or injured. If she did get out something must havehappened to her, because she would never be gone this long. It is just making me sick. I just bought her new toys and a new bowl....:hit

Back
Top Bottom