Kittens eating chicken feed!

ChickMandy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Amaranth Ontario
We took on two kittens in September and they're living out with our goats. The female has taken a liking to chicken feed and we're chasing her away from it several times a day. Her belly has got quite chubby from it, and I know that it can be deadly for goats, but what about kittens/cats? I can't find anything online about this and I have no idea why she would be drawn to eating it.

Any thoughts??

Everyone here loves chicken feed. It's mostly corn, wheat and soy and those are almost as addictive as sugar! I'd say keep your feed in a trash can with a locking lid to keep her away from it. Remember, if your kitten can get in it, so can mice and rats.

Our feed is in a trash bin. She's actually getting in the run and eating from the feeder. Once the winter really hits and the chickens don't want to go out anymore she won't be able to get in the coop to get at the feed. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt her, but it sure has given her a big belly!

Check your cat food.Chicken feed has the same ingredients as the cat food. We give our chickens cat food as a treat.I dont think It will hurt her.
Maybe try worming her.She may not be getting enough nutrition from her food to sustain her due to worms.
My dogs eat the goats grain and the goats eat the dog food.

Make sure kittens have been wormed, are getting some actual kitten food supplied, and MOST important-alter both plz. as even barn cats need spay/neutered.

Our feed is in a trash bin. She's actually getting in the run and eating from the feeder. Once the winter really hits and the chickens don't want to go out anymore she won't be able to get in the coop to get at the feed. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt her, but it sure has given her a big belly!
Have you read the book Wheat Belly?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom