kitty litter boxes as nest boxes?

noahsmom

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2013
North Eastern, Ky
Sorry to make another thread pertaining to nest boxes, my other was kind of unrelated to this though.

But just wondering if kitty litter boxes last a while as nest boxes? I was thinking this would just be a quick method of buying several and drilling a few holes for ventilation if we used enclosed and setting them on the ground for nest boxes? It would be quick and efficient for us this way and with time drawing closer for our eggs to hatch, quick sounds nice lol... I think our coop even after completed enough for the chickens to live in will remain a work in progess!

I found this..
Do you think it would be ok as a nest box? or would they prefer something more enclosed? These are $12, I really just don't want to give them a litter pan to sit in, I know something like this at least would be more preferred.

Anyone have any litterbox nest box pics? Do you just set yours on the floor or do you have them set up somewhere off the coop floor?

Looks like it would work if you have them covered. Those top edges look like inviting places to roost and that would be a mess in the nest. If you are handy with a saw and hammer, you can make several wood nests for the price of one of these kitty boxes.

I'm personally not handy with a saw and hammer but I'm sure I can have something whipped up...I'm just trying to figure out what would be the quickest route since we already have so much building ahead of us. Maybe we could just see if we have some left over scraps and go from there. :)
If we go the kitty litter box route then I will buy the enclosed ones, I didn't think about them using the sides as a roost!

Last edited:
So, did you use a kitty litter box? I just purchased one today that has a top and lots of ventilation. It was $19 and has a handle on the top so I can move it out the coop (aka Little Tykes Playhouse). Let me know how yours works.

BTW, update on the Kitty Litter Box as a Nesting Box. My brown sex link loves it. Lays an egg in there every day. My bantam hen hasn't laid an egg yet but I wasn't expecting much egg wise from her. They like to sit on the top of it so I am glad it is plastic so I can wipe or hose it off every few days.

I'm using 5 gal buckets for nest boxes with a pvc roost built on the front kind of similar to the Fowl Stuff nest boxes that are now for sale at several places. I built my first one before I ever saw the Fowl Stuff so I can honestly say I didn't steal it. I'm sure that if the 5 gal buckets work that Kitty litter buckets (but not a ltter box) will be fine as well, I'm currently looking for some around Atlanta if you know anyone that has some. You could mount the buckets in a wall and use wood to make a roost pole just outside of the front and cut a hole in the back then use the cutout piece and hinge it with a latch of somekind to gather eggs from the outside.

I am using one for a water bucket as well between my 55 gal storage drum and water nipples in my coop. The barrel is in the barn loft and had to much pressure feeding the nipples. I used the litter bucket as a pressure regulator with a float on the inlet from the drum so the only pressure to the nipples is out of the smaller bucket mounted much lower than the drum, this is working great.

I'm not positive if the buckets will work yet because the only birds I have now range in age from 4 weeks to 12 weeks and aren't laying yet but hopefully I will be finding out about the middle of July if all my new stuff in the coop is working the way I planned it.

Last edited:
I think some people here(mostly just me) are confusing the actual buckets that kitty litter comes in and a litter box that you fill with litter for cats to use. Tidy Cat sells litter in a 35 lb size bucket that will work great for nest boxes and water buckets. A litter box used by a cat will not serve the same purpose, Let me search for a minute and I'll find a picture of the Tidy Cat bucket.

This is not a very big copy of the pic but it is all I can get to work right now,

Thes buckets have a hinged lid that can be removed or only a third of it left on to hold nest bedding in. They are a great source of recycled goods that can be used around your chicken coop for many things.

Last edited:
That is so funny. I saw one by the curbside the other day and checked to see if it was empty. I was thinking I might need another nesting box. Unfortunately, it was used to dispose of paint, but what a coincidence.

I have two of them they make excellent nest boxes just as is!

For standard size chickens and especially Muscovy ducks!

Mine were just on the floor thank you very much
With a plastic egg or golf ball inside they were in buisness in no time flat!

Mine have tops however.

I saw somewhere where a person took one of these cat litter boxes similar to this but with a top.

Isolated the top from the bottom and mounted them on the wall on the lip that holds them together; attached a perch, cut a hole on the front of them to let the hens gain access. Presto 2 wall mounted nest boxes. He must have closed off the part where the cat had gained access with something on one of them.

It may have been mounted with a hinge now that I think about it for easy cleaning ( pull the pin out of the hinge).

They looked good and was a very space conscious thing.
Do not know how it worked for buddy however.

This works well also as one member pointed out already.

Last edited:
quick question... my husband purchased the fowl stuff nests for me... or I guess I should say for my girls... anyway... I put shavings in them... and when one of the girls got in there this morning, it seemed as if it might be "slippery"... any suggestion on nesting material for them???? Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom