Kiwi Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little block, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Little block

Little block New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi Group
    I am a new member down here in Pukekohe, South of Auckland, New Zealand.
    We have a small block of land that I have decided to plant out in fruit trees and allow a few hens to roam in.
    I was originally given 3 Orpington hens which were producing 3 eggs pre day, however one went broody so I now have her on fertile eggs that I purchased. The origin breeds are not sure of, and could be a mixture, although I am not worried as I think a variety of breeds and colours will be quite a nice look in the orchard.
    I have since been given another Orpington hen that has 10 eggs under her,(all pure orpington) so I am hoping to raise these and free range them in the orchard area.
    I have read many of the questions and answers from this list and thought why not join and participate.
    I have to admit I did look at some of the photos of eth coops and felt sorry for my girls, however they all seem happy enough to come home to it each night and it is warm and dry which I suppose is what really counts.
    This has been a change of lifestyle for me and I am surprised how much pleasure I get just watching them scratch around, let alone the flavour of fresh eggs and the colour of the yokes.
    Will watch and read and continue to learn from the group.

Regards
    Dave

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome! We're glad you joined. [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to BYC Dave, glad you joined our flock. Chickens aren't picky as long as the coop provides them with what they need, freedom from drafts and good ventilation. You see photos of elaborate coops on here but, there are probably just as many serviceable coops made from re-purposed materials, and scraps and leftovers from other projects. The chickens are just as content.

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy Flock

Happy Flock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome Dave![​IMG]
    I'm a new member too, although I have been reading the articles here for a few months, like yourself.
    I live in Australia. I would love to visit NZ one day. Your flock will have a happy life foraging in the orchard. Sounds ideal.
    I have Orpingtons and simply love the breed. I think your idea of having a variety of breeds is nice. Orpingtons go broody often and make excellent mothers. I have two broodies sitting on eggs at the moment. They are due to hatch next week.
    My coop is fairly basic. I'd love to have a nice looking one, but money is short. But I agree with Drumstick Diva: the important thing is that the chickens are kept healthy and their basic needs are met in the coop/run.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Chicken don't care about fancy digs, they just want a safe place to roost without the wind blowing on them or the rain on there heads.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by