Klambach - Feed for Ducklings and Mixed Flock?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
What do you all with mixed flock feed? I have runner ducklings right now…6 weeks old. I can get Purina Flock Raiser easily here which is 20% protein. I fed this to my ducklings from hatch (+ brewers yeast) but still had niacin issues (everyone is ok now). Then I was told to lower the protein during feathering because of Angel Wing. One of my ducklings was showing early signs of Angel wing so I did want to cut the protein down. The other alternative I could find suitable for ducks was Klambach Flock Maintainer (16%). They’ve been eating this for the last week and seem good, but I’ve heard mixed reviews on this feed. Like it’s low quality? Eventually once everyone is grown out, I want to just feed an all flock formula, so wondering what others have done? Once they are out of this growing phase, I wouldn’t mind going back to Purina.

Can I feed them this 16% feed, and then go back to the Purina once they fully feather? Or should they be on something else now?

I'm surprised you had angel wing signs, its much more prominent over 24% protein. I've successfully raised numerous hatches on 20% w/o issue, including Purina's flock raiser. Its Naicin levels (last anyone asked) were adequate for adult ducks, but probably low for hatchling pekins, based on the latest research.

That said, using brewers yeast to boost niacin ALSO boosts protein - very easy to overdo it - brewer's yeast is almost 50% protein.

Kalmbach is fine food if a bit expensive for my taste, and generally recommended to be fed as a wet mash - too many have problems with their flocks eating the larger grains, and ignoring the fines.

I'm surprised you had angel wing signs, its much more prominent over 24% protein. I've successfully raised numerous hatches on 20% w/o issue, including Purina's flock raiser. Its Naicin levels (last anyone asked) were adequate for adult ducks, but probably low for hatchling pekins, based on the latest research.

That said, using brewers yeast to boost niacin ALSO boosts protein - very easy to overdo it - brewer's yeast is almost 50% protein.

Kalmbach is fine food if a bit expensive for my taste, and generally recommended to be fed as a wet mash - too many have problems with their flocks eating the larger grains, and ignoring the fines.
Good to know. Maybe the brewers yeast was the angel wing issue. It is mild and seems to be working itself out! I've just struggled to get these guy's nutrition right. I also have chickens, horses and sheep, and understand how to feed all of them, so I have been surprised to struggle with the ducks. I think I'll just finish up this bag of Klambach and just go back to Purina Flock Raiser. Do you have chickens too? Are you successful using the Purina for whole mature mixed flocks?

My first year, yes, I feed my birds 20% proitein usually Purina, Nutrena's equivalent when the Purina wasn't available. Now I feed my birds in a way I don't recommend others do, specific to my needs, management, and flock purpose.

And my flock is in my sig, below. I've had chickens and ducks since the start, the goats and rabbits were later additions. Flock size started at 20 birds, has gone up to nearly 100, and is now being culled down to more appropriate size to my current needs.

That said, using brewers yeast to boost niacin ALSO boosts protein - very easy to overdo it - brewer's yeast is almost 50%
Interesting! This is the first I’ve seen that yeast boosts protein. I have a mixed flock and was concerned with both protein and niacin levels. I feed Kalmbach 20% and scratch and was top dressing with Optizyme from my horse. Didn’t have any niacin problems, but I did have one duck develop the start of Angel Wing. She wouldn’t tolerate a bandage or wrap, but today full grown she only has a tiny bit of wing feathers on one side that stick out a little. Doesn’t affect her at all.
How to balance protein/niacin and calcium (I have toms, a drake and a gander). I also leave oyster shell near the water supply and the hens get it whenever.

Back
Top Bottom