Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

Done for the day. I still have some sand to move, but the run area is filled, save for any settling. I still have one side that needs a a bit of sand to level up the ground next to the run, but I will attack that tomorrow. Right now it is beer-thirty and I am worn out. As soon as I sell a couple of collector kites I have, I will be able to get the wood, metal roof panels, hardware cloth, etc. I would much rather make sawdust than to move earth........

Proof in pictures!

I think it is a nice start!

A Scotty photobomb

Scotty keeping watch over the shrinking sand pile.

Got the foundation backfilled, and sand has been spread. I made a video, even started a new YouTube channel for this adventure. I have assembled and uploaded my first video, let me know what you think!

0.jpg

If anyone notices, I have requested a forum name change. By the graces of the administrator, it has been granted. The name is representative of a road I live near, and is a bit more ideal for this forum than the old moniker I have used in many other places. I am sorry if this causes anyone pause or confusion. Now if I could only get the title of this thread changed........lol

Like the screen name change......moderator should be able to change your thread title too.
Video is pretty good....I look forward to following your build.

Looks like I will need to rack up the plastic to buy materials for the coop. Weather has been holding me back from committing to buy, and trying to sell stuff for the cash. I want to paint the wood as I make the coop and run, but we have not gotten any warmer than the mid forties on most days. Plus, we have had rain (and some frozen s&%#} probably four out of seven days. Not the kind of weather one can expect paint to do well in. I am going to set up a cover in the yard to work under, mainly to paint wood. I have space heaters to help get the paint to dry, and will construct a tent over the wood to help capture the heat a bit. This way painting after building the chicken Taj Mahal will be minimal.

I tend to build with minimal writing things down, and do most of my designing in my head. Used to drive my dad nuts, he would have drawn out every detail. I have spent hours running every detail of this coop and run through my head, done a bunch of research on coop design, and I am going to try to incorporate as much of the good designs I have seen in multiple locations into my build. To give you a idea what I can make by just thinking things out, this is a two year project I finished ten years ago, not a single drawing besides electrical schematics:

0.jpg

The babies are growing fast, and they are quickly losing their down and are covered in pin feathers. They are about 7 inches long, beak to tail, and stand about 4 inches tall at the shoulder. I can expand the brooder from its current 3'x3' to about 3'x6', but that's about it. I will make that happen in the next day or so. Need to research when and how to move the chicks into their new home.

Why crush those when you can take them back for deposit??
Maybe y'all don't have deposits on soda/beer cans there?
Will it crush a steel food can...like soup, tomatoes, beans, and such?

No deposit in Washington, and you can get busted for trying to take cans bought in Washington to Oregon, believe it or not,.....

It can crush steel, but the weak point is the multi piece crank and the key way between it and the large sprocket.. That will fail after a few cans. A forged crank and a splined connection would solve that problem....

Back
Top Bottom